Logo

Installing Johnson/ Evinrude 115 h.p. Outboard onto Repaired Transom

boatdokker

Regular Contributor
The transom on this Bayliner Cuddy Capri had a fracture and a repair was made by injecting epoxy into the transom and laminating
the damaged area with heavy fiberglass mat. A local boat shop in Arizona said that because the transom needed to be repaired, an aluminum plate should
be installed beneath the motor mount to provide support for the 115 h.p. V-4 motor.

My question is where exactly should the aluminum plate be installed? Inside the transom next to the hull, or on the outside of transom next to the
water line?

P1010006 (2).JPGP1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG Here are a few photos of the installation.

Last edited:
I think they meant outside, between the motor mounting brackets and the transom. But you really should ask them to clarify, because they are familiar with the situation.

Keep in mind where forces are applied when moving forward. The closer you can get to the propeller/line of propulsion, the more protection for the transom. In other words, the plate should extend as low as reasonably possible.

Last edited:
I should have said earlier that the fracture was on the inside surface of the transom. The boat shop said to install the plate onto the inside surface. The outside surface of the transom might still need some spacers for the mounting bolts.
P1010014.JPG
P1010021 (2).JPG

Attachments

• P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back