Logo

Cobra 1987 0481586 sterndrive

BMK

I have a 1987 Cobra sterndrive T0481586 / 984541 4.3 . On the port side of the upper drive, almost in the middle, is a recessed area with a screw. Most of the diagrams show the starboard view ( Seloc manual). Can any one tell me what that screw threads into? What it held in place? I cannot get it threaded back in, there is just nothing there. Thank you in advance.

It is a metal plate that probably fell off and is in the water passage behind where that hole is. You will have to pull the drive, fish it out, reinstall the screw and do not touch it again lol.

Can this be accessed through the back, the shift cover? I thought this was the water drain screw thats why I loosened it. Its not very well illustrated in the schematics.

Lou is correct. Many an owner has undone that screw wondering what it's for.

Last edited:
Thank you for your direction, screw back in place and covered with epoxy to remind me of the work I caused myself to do. Great to get the universal joints and gimbal bearing done at the same time. What worked for me was to get a flat file, wrap it with duct tape sticky side out, press the nut onto the sticky tape and slide the file carefully into the water jacket to the screw. Start the screw into the nut good then pull the file out and tighten up the screw. Worked very well.

Last edited:
Back