Logo

Volvo penta 8.1gi-j - excessive oil loss

Sesco.lb

It all started last year when i bought a monterey 254-fsx model year 2008 with inboard volvo penta 8.1l. I had a problem with a failed valve spring and had to remove the engine and rebuild it ( manifolds, risers, lifters, rockers, gaskets, seals, oil pump, water pump, pistons, piston rings, valve stem seals and eveything else tou can imagine....

The boat runs smooth, can reach factory numbers of 4000 rpm.

BUT..... losing 1qt of oil per hour of use... no smoke on cold start and no smoke while running and runs from the first ignition.

Only fresh un burnt oil sheen visible when turning off the boat coming out from the stern drive exhaust on the top of the water.

No oil leaks inside the engine bay, no water in engine oil.

This is driving me crazy... i tested the oil cooler... removed it and pressure tested it without any sign of leaks.

We reached a point of faulty cylinder gasket or crack in engine block. But how can thia be true when no visible water in the oil.

HeLP

You should pull the oil cooler and check it again. I have replaced a few of these on VP 8.1's.

Plug one oil port and rig up a Schrader Valve on the other and put 15 PSI into it, then submerge it in water.... you will see if it is leaking.

Last edited:
You should pull the oil cooler and check it again. I have replaced a few of these on VP 8.1's.

Plug one oil port and rig up a Schrader Valve on the other and put 15 PSI into it, then submerge it in water.... you will see if it is leaking.

But i already did this... i plugged one end of the oil port and pressured the other and heated it and submerged it in cold and hot water - brute force testing cuz it was the only reasonable place the oil could be leaking in my case but nothing not even a tiny bubble leaked...

I read about the intake gasket pulling oil... but it can be tested if u open the oil fill port and try to see if there is suction happening if u give some gas to the engine... but my engine was not doing so... thats why its driving me crazy man... what do you think ?

Do you think a bad gasket can lead to this ? Knowing that head gasket doesn't have an passage to the oil inside it... only coolant water since the oil passage is through the tappets and rod lifters to the rockers outside the head gasket.

I read about the intake gasket pulling oil... but it can be tested if u open the oil fill port and try to see if there is suction happening if u give some gas to the engine... but my engine was not doing so... thats why its driving me crazy man... what do you think ?

Do you think a bad gasket can lead to this ? Knowing that head gasket doesn't have an passage to the oil inside it... only coolant water since the oil passage is through the tappets and rod lifters to the rockers outside the head gasket.

Were you able to find a solution to your excessive oil loss?

Low post count posters rarely, if ever, follow up... they post, get help and never hear from again....
Suggest you follow advice the original poster was given on this and when you find it, be courteous enough to leave status/feedback.

Last edited:
Back