Logo

outdrive case flush

kingsfisherman

Contributing Member
Hello,

I have the gear oil drained and wondered if anyone has ever used a solvent to flush out their drive case unit before refilling with gear oil? Seems like a good idea to me to clean out the gear case.

Hello,

I have the gear oil drained and wondered if anyone has ever used a solvent to flush out their drive case unit before refilling with gear oil? Seems like a good idea to me to clean out the gear case.

IMHO... If the drained out oil was clear and the drive didn't have a bad seal letting water in resulting in "milk", I would not bother.
Since this is not an engine and the gear case does not have any non metallic friction surfaces, there is nowhere for contaminates requiring cleaning to accrue. If there are metallic particles in the drained oil you may have other problems.

2X post #2...and Not introducing any solvent CANT harm any of the seals...so why open the can of worms...

I would not flush it with any solvent because if it does not completely evaporate it will contaminate the fresh gear oil. If you had water in the gear oil just change it after fixing the bad seals and see how it looks then.

Back