Logo

Can't get 350 Gm's Exh. Risers off

Model 350 log risers???

the longer they have been sitting, the more effort it will likely take.

If space permits, it is usually most efficient to remove the entire manifold assembly and then separate the riser and elbow on terra firma...a torch will help a lot as will a can of KROIL. if they have a lot of buildup, removing the studs may be necessary...

Thanks Mark, I think I knew the answer before I asked. Just hoping there was some neat trick I didn't know. They've been on there a Looong time.

Then I'd wait a bit for it to warm up and then try to remove them from the engine.

I always wondered how long a sawzall would take to separate the components (wouldn't try it in an engine room - too messy)....??? just avoid the machined surfaces...

The Manifolds are closed cooled, the risers and elbows are raw water. The boat has been setting for many years (Condo). I got the mani's and risers off the boat, I'll start heatin and beatin on them when the snow melts.

The best penetrant is probably no secret, but I will mention again, in case you don't know.
A FRESH MIX 50/50 OF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, (preferably petrol base), AND YOUR WIFES NAIL POLISH REMOVER, (acetone).

Yes, everything has come off surprisingly well. All bolts look good. I rigged up a little Gantry (2x4 across a couple saw horses, rope with a couple pulleys) and pulled the mani's with risers. Paid a couple younger fellows to come over on their lunch break and get them off the boat for me. Thought id hit them with some Heat and Kroil later today if it warms up a little.

Take those old bolts that you took out and toss them and replace with new. If not you will end up snaping some of them off. I learned that the hard way.

I usually will leave bolts still screwed in but loose. The a few good whacks with a lead-shot soft-face plastic mallet gets them to pop. It's hard to believe that they'd be stuck where this method didn't work.

Well, I got them apart. Kroil and heating and a good size pipe wrench. I wrange off 1 of the 9" studs in each riser, but got them apart !
Thanks for the help !! I'll be back for more as I try to get this ol Mainship up and running again.

The best penetrant is probably no secret, but I will mention again, in case you don't know.
A FRESH MIX 50/50 OF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, (preferably petrol base), AND YOUR WIFES NAIL POLISH REMOVER, (acetone).

My secret sauce for nut busting is a 50/50 mix of PB blaster (penetrating oil) and Transmission fluid. Seems to work better than PB blaster alone.

Back