Logo

Tomos only intermittently spinning prop

patrickza

Morning all. I bought a boat that came with a small Tomos two stroke outboard. The stickers have peeled off so I can't tell if it's a 4.5 or a 4.8. For some reason it will only spin the prop sometimes. If I rev it up often there is no movement of the prop, but at other times it spins normally. Any ideas on what I could check?

Morning all. I bought a boat that came with a small Tomos two stroke outboard. The stickers have peeled off so I can't tell if it's a 4.5 or a 4.8. For some reason it will only spin the prop sometimes. If I rev it up often there is no movement of the prop, but at other times it spins normally. Any ideas on what I could check?

Hi,

You can start by checking the shear pin of the propeller. If you need more information or in need of parts, you can contact me on: [email protected]

Best regards,
Alex

Hi Alex, I did, the pin needed replacement but didn't solve the issue. The shaft itself isn't spinning. I'll definitely be in contact if I need parts. Thanks.

Hi Alex, I did, the pin needed replacement but didn't solve the issue. The shaft itself isn't spinning. I'll definitely be in contact if I need parts. Thanks.
I think the next step would be to remove the propeller and the propeller drive shaft. Then you can check the condition of the clutch and the gears.

I think the next step would be to remove the propeller and the propeller drive shaft. Then you can check the condition of the clutch and the gears.
Finally managed to get back to my boat so I can start troubleshooting this Tomos. Thanks for your help so far Alex. Do you have a workshop manual by any chance? I'm going to start pulling things apart, but want to make sure I don't create any new problems at the same time!

Finally managed to get back to my boat so I can start troubleshooting this Tomos. Thanks for your help so far Alex. Do you have a workshop manual by any chance? I'm going to start pulling things apart, but want to make sure I don't create any new problems at the same time!

Hi,
When you need info, please contact me at my email. Already send the address in my previous reply.

Best regards,
Alex

Back