Logo

2019 Mercury 30HP EFI no spark and no fuel from VST

Went fishing with my Mercury 4 stroke electric start yesterday and it started first pop but would not get up to full revs. We stopped a few times and it started up but not easily then would not start at all.
It is turning over strongly and the battery is almost new.
So far I have found there is no fuel coming out of the Vapour separator tank (on the inward side there is fuel pumping)
There is 15 volts at the VST input.
There is also no spark.
The main fuse is fine
I have disconnected kill switch but it makes no difference.
In my service manual it says I have another fuse harness with 3 fuses but I can't find it where it is shown near all the other wiring and not shown on the wiring diagram attached to cover on motor.
I figure my next step is to dismantle the VST and check the high pressure fuel pump but can't see how that could resolve the no spark issue?
I am 500 kilometers from the nearest City and only have a multimeter and basic tools but any suggestions as to where I head after checking the fuel pump would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I would check the kill circuit first as VST has 12V+ all the time, the 12V- is supplied by ECU. If kill circuit is activated fuel pump will not run.

Check the entire wiring harness for fuses. I have fuses near the battery and tucked up under the dash along with fuses on the engine.

Thanks for the feedback. I have double checked the two kill circuits and it makes no difference if they are disconnected.
Looks like my model only has the one 20amp fuse.
I checked the resistance on the stator today and it reads about 1 to 0.9 which is above spec according to the manual which states it should be between 0.29 and 0.43 for the battery charge windings (whatever that is?) Unfortunately my multimeter does not have an "auto mode" which is what the manual says to use so I just put it on the minimum level I could -could this affect the reading?
I did the battery charge windings resistance to ground test and there was no resistance so that looked ok.
So is it likely the stator is bad or could the reading be affected by my multimeter setting?
Any further advice appreciated.

Thanks Faztbullet that is the diagram I was working with but it turns out the later models don't have this set up. I got a later model service manual and it does only show one fuse like mine.
I am going to go back over all connections but can't really check the electrical components as per the service manual without a better multimeter and DVA adaptor.

You then have the Tohatsu badged as a Merc...best to jump over to the Tohatsu website and download a factory service manual...MFS30C

Thanks I will. Also dismantled the high pressure fuel pump yesterday and it is running fine when connected directly to battery but doesn't run when the engine cranking over.

Thanks. I am going away today for a few weeks so will have to wait until I get back to try it then. I will get a better Multimeter too. Cheers

Your a legend fatzbullet! I cut the earth wire to the ECM and ground the high pressure fuel pump directly to the block and away it went. It is running fine on the muffs but haven't tried it in the water yet. Wondering if this might be a complete solution or if I should put a relay between the ECM and the fuel pump as has been suggested by others to overcome aftermarket fuel pump issues?

Spoke too soon as now I have fuel overflowing and it won't start? I hooked up a switched line direct to the battery and it kicks but then dies and lots of fuel overflowing from overflow tube?

Your a legend fatzbullet! I cut the earth wire to the ECM and ground the high pressure fuel pump directly to the block and away it went. It is running fine on the muffs but haven't tried it in the water yet. Wondering if this might be a complete solution or if I should put a relay between the ECM and the fuel pump as has been suggested by others to overcome aftermarket fuel pump issues?

You should repair the wire you cut and have the issue repaired correctly.

Thanks Chris. Trouble is the genuine fuel pump and ecm are worth over 2 grand so not sure I am prepared to spend that sort of money on this outboard. Might take the first step and buy the genuine HP fuel pump and then it should be easier to assess the actual problem and determine where I go from there.

To update on this issue I have rewired it back to original and replaced the after market high pressure fuel pump with genuine Mercury pump. I have also replaced the VST float needle and the fuel pressure regulator which has stopped the fuel overflowing from the VST.
The motor starts and runs fine on muffs but still struggles to get to full revs when in the water under load.
Any suggestions? I am thinking maybe the MAP sensor?

Back