Logo

Stuck Motor? Stuck Outdrive?

boatdokker

Regular Contributor
The 302 c.i. motor on this 1975 sterndrive in not turning over and seems stuck. The starter was removed and seems to be perfectly o.k. When parked, the motor and sterndrive were supposedly o.k. The boat was left out in the sun and winter weather for quite a while. The spark plugs were very difficult to remove from the cylinder heads and the exposed metal on each plug was covered with a severe amount of rust. Spark plugs were dry, however, they were covered with a film of black carbon. Each cylinder was sprayed with a WD-40 type oil and left to soak several days. Really hoping that a 1" socket on the crankshaft pulley will free up the motor. Otherwise, what???, a trip to the local salvage yard to try to find a good used 302 V-8 to install in this boat???
P1010572.JPGedit 1.jpg

Last edited:
Step #1 is drain gear oil in the lower unit.-----It appears to there is a crack visible in gearcase.-----But I could be wrong there.----More pictures of lower gearcase ?

Yeah, “racerone”, could be. The mechanic at the Lakeside boat shop in Arizona was asking about any “chunks” of metal in the lower unit. He also said to drain the gearbox and check the gear oil. I’m not sure about any fractures in the case…didn’t seem like it when I bought the boat. However, I’ll try to get better images of the sterndrive in the next few days. It’s getting evaluated at the boat shop in Lakeside right now.

Most folks would say.-----Don't get involved with one of those machines.-------Pretty good in the day but not popular in the modern era of boating.

Remove the sterndrive and then try cranking it over. I bought a boat with a mercruiser and the gentleman told me that the engine was seized. Come to find out the bearing in the sterndrive went and caused the driveshaft to lockup. Worth a shot.

Dan

The 302 c.i. motor on this 1975 sterndrive in not turning over and seems stuck. The starter was removed and seems to be perfectly o.k. When parked, the motor and sterndrive were supposedly o.k. The boat was left out in the sun and winter weather for quite a while. The spark plugs were very difficult to remove from the cylinder heads and the exposed metal on each plug was covered with a severe amount of rust. Spark plugs were dry, however, they were covered with a film of black carbon. Each cylinder was sprayed with a WD-40 type oil and left to soak several days. Really hoping that a 1" socket on the crankshaft pulley will free up the motor. Otherwise, what???, a trip to the local salvage yard to try to find a good used 302 V-8 to install in this boat???
View attachment 28255View attachment 28254

Need to determine what is serviceable and what is repairable. To drop that outdrive, I'm guessing the steering linkage, wiring to the tilt motor, all sterndrive to motor bolts need to be disassembled. Here are a few more photos. edit 9.jpgP1010601.JPGP1010592.JPGedit 8.jpg
I also kind of think that, besides the tilt gear mechanism on the port side, there may be something missing from the sterndrive next to the transom seal. I also think that there are scratches and marring on the lower unit. Couldn't see any fracturing of the gearbox.

Last edited:
Back