Logo

'95 Johnson 225hp-Timer assy install help!!

tugdawg

Hi Guys. I replaced the timing sensor and stator on my '95/225hp Johnson and torqued to specs.

QUESTION: The timer base moved back and forth when I manually move the flywheel in each direction. Is this normal? The movement feels stiffer too. Don't want to crank her yet. Any ideas will be greatly appreeciated!!:(

The flywheel was properly fitted with tapers clean and dry ? ----Key lined up ?----Did you check / inspect for loose magnets inside the flywheel.-----And yes there are strong magnets that pull on the timer base.-----Why did you replace the timer base and stator ?

Intermitant or no spark. While I had the flywheel off I changed out the stator. Everything slid on smooth. Going to pull it again and check!!! Thanks!

Yep!!! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!! Small Cotter pin was smooshed between the top magnet and the timer!! Must've picked it up while putting on the gear ring that popped off when I pulled the FW> God was with me. These CDI replacements have an epoxy filled top and it went in there. No operational damage. It cranked right over. Thanks to all you guys!!! :D

**NOTE: If your gear ring comes off too its not necessary to bring it to a machine shop to press back on. I placed the Flywheel in the freezer for 30' and the gear ring in the oven on broil on the top rack for 30'. It slipped right on! I let it cool and then put it in the freezer for another 1hr. Seems to work. UPDATE to come this week.

Thanks for posting the results, your an honest man. Need more like you, my friend. Yes, I could have put the flywheel outside this morning here....-18. That's about 15 degrees colder than the average DEEP FREEZE!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the results, your an honest man. Need more like you, my friend. Yes, I could have put the flywheel outside this morning here....-18. That's about 15 degrees colder than the average DEEP FREEZE!

Your welcome..looks like this time of year you don't need the fridge!;)

Back