Logo

1969 Johnson 9.5

Deano27

Contributing Member
Hello, I just bought a 12ft aluminum semi v boat and now looking for a motor for it. I will be using this on a a little river system that does have some current so I need enough power to get back up river at a decent speed. It will be just me and sometimes the dog. I don't want to put much money into this as this river is shallow and has a lot of debris but the catfishing can be good

Now onto the motor questions:

I found a 1969 Johnson 9.5 (9R69S) for $250.00. The guy said it likes to bog down when ran at high speed for a while. I have not checked compression but I would probably plan on putting in a carb kit and adjusting the points. An old Johnson mechanic I know told me to steer clear of this motor as they have continuous issues and I will probably fight it.

Another option would be an older Evinrude 6hp (not sure of year or price yet) But a guy that is selling it has a little outboard repair shop has it and says it has been gone though and runs great and reliable. I'm just afraid it wont be enough power.

What's your opinion?

The 9.5's we're not as strong as it's predecessor, the 10hp.I really like the features of the 9.5, however, for river and shallow fishing. They can have motor mounts and seal problems, also coils can/will crack, causing power loss. If it trolls down to a very steady, slow idle, then the seals are okay, (crankshaft seals). Loose mounts are easily repaired. Compression is lower on these, running only about 80 psi. They are a bigger bore with a shorter stroke than many motors in their class. A strong 6 hp is a good choice too. Coils can crack as well, but once replaced, ($20 each x 2), your good for another 30 or 40 years. Most all parts are available for these motors so no problem there.
Here is a video clip of a 6-horsepower I recently rebuilt and tested yesterday. I throttled up to about 1/2 power but had I gone to full power it would have splashed most of the water out of the test barrel. It's really much quieter as the Android phone depicts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AGda_NW5cbdXY-k16C2UfNYIxg_3V2H2/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
At about 60 lbs those 9.5 models are the light weight champions.----They are an excellent fishing motor.-----But do a compression test before shelling out the money.----You have to accept the fact that these motors are simple.----It takes time to learn how to maintain it yourself.-----If you buy the 9.5 it will need the impeller replaced.----Perhaps a gearcase reseal.----Thermostat inspected as they are often missing or stuck open.

Thank you both for the quick replies!

Do you think I would notice a big difference in power and speed between the 9.5 and the 6?

Well, as the hp ratings suggest, about a 35 percent increase in power, with the 9.5. How much is the 6 hp $? Do a compression test as suggested, if possible. Max comp after 5 brisk pulls with both plugs out. Remember comp is hp, right? A weak motor will show lower compression. Both motors are reliable gems, you can't go wrong....choose the 6 or the 9.5, but look em over good. Is there a nice crisp shift with both motors? Sloppy movement often indicates alot of use and/or abuse. Did the little shop test the lower unit with pressure or vacuum? Pictures? Worth a thousand words.

Last edited:
Here is the link to that 6 hp. I think the other link (above) might work now too. Here is how you want it to run. This is a very healthy motor 1976 model. Overhauled 15 years ago, then the powerhead sat on the shelf. Set it up with a 1969 lower unit and then added spacer and longer shaft. It's going out East for a sailboat in VA Beach. One year warranty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AGda_NW5cbdXY-k16C2UfNYIxg_3V2H2/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
I have a 9.5hp, a 6hp, and a 12' Jon boat. The 6 will get on plane with one person, but just barely. The 9.5 will easily plane with two people and will run about 18 mph. The 9.5 also has a shallow drive setting that will get you a couple inches of extra clearance. The 9.5 has some quirks, but is easy to work on once you learn your way around it and is an excellent motor.

These older motors are elegantly simple and easy to maintain.-----Consumable parts are cheap.--------But you must know or learn how to do the work yourself.-----If you have to run to a shop for every little squeak / hiccup you need a new motor.

Very well stated, gentlemen. There is very good guidance "out there", and right here on the forum, for those wanting to learn. Honestly, if these motors are simply cared for properly, they will last ANOTHER 50 years. I may just put all my stuff in a "time capsule" here, and have my son open it up about 2050, providing parts for those who were wise enough to keep this great engineering alive and running. Why leave behind a gravestone? Can't go fishin' with that!

Thanks for all the information guys. The guy selling the 6hp wants 450 for it.
I decided on going with the 9.5 and will be picking it up Sunday.

See if he will let you do a compression test when you get there. Bring a 13/16" plug socket or box end. Remove both plugs. The auto parts store will let you borrow a compression gauge. Why? You gotta make sure that the bogging wasn't a result of something bad happening. Also bring a nice big flat blade screwdriver to check condition of lower unit lube.

Very well stated, gentlemen. There is very good guidance "out there", and right here on the forum, for those wanting to learn. Honestly, if these motors are simply cared for properly, they will last ANOTHER 50 years. I may just put all my stuff in a "time capsule" here, and have my son open it up about 2050, providing parts for those who were wise enough to keep this great engineering alive and running. Why leave behind a gravestone? Can't go fishin' with that!
Once you work on one,you know how to work on almost all from the era.You guys here are great and Ive never been stranded. Although I love the 6hp Fishermans,I find my 7520 tunes just a touch better.

The 7520 is a 56 model.-----They only marketed the 7.5 HP model in 56 / 57 / 58.------And yes they are a sweet running motor.

Well Deano, you asked for opinions, so here goes. First, I totally respect previous opinions stated here. But here is the rest of the story, which your Johnson mechanic probably had in mind.

I do like the 9.5hp motors, and they were our best sellers back then. And yes, "normal" service work is easy. But they also have some common problems that are not so easy. Broken motor mounts. Torn boot on shift rod (won't run with hood on). Water tube that pulls out of exhaust housing. Bottom line is if something happens that requires shucking the motor out of its shell, unless you like such projects, you might hate it. Not hard, but complex.

Been there, done that many times.

.....another Johnson/Evinrude mechanic from "The Day"....

BTW, love the 6hp.

I have to agree to some extent.-------But at $250 you get a motor that is light at 60 lbs.------A motor you can work on yourself.-----If you get it there is no need to jump all over the carburetor first.-----Yes you need to accept the extra work with the cowlings can be a deterrent but it beats watching television these days.

Ha! You guys are a blast! When Racer and Gator and Pappy all retire....I'm probably gonna "hang up" this stupid cell phone and start watching McGyver reruns. I like Gunsmoke and Adam 12 too.

Last edited:
Back