Logo

2010 Mercury 60 HP Bigfoot surging at WOT.

ffain

Trying to help my brother in law with this problem. Replaced external fuel filter and the low pressure fuel pump. Runs fine for 5 minutes or so at full throttle then surges and sometimes dies. If you wait a second starts right back up and if you let it idle for a minute or two, then WOT for a minute or so, surges again, etc. Read some posts about the bulb but clearly running out of fuel. He is in a wheel chair and has no way to get the boat to a repair shop. Thanks for any help.
Will run all day long on half throttle.

The bulb is a manual fuel pump.----Used to fill carburetors before start-up.-----Once the motor is running the bulb does nothing.----If you are running with an onboard fuel tank I suggest running with a portable fuel tank and hose as a test.

The bulb is a manual fuel pump.----Used to fill carburetors before start-up.-----Once the motor is running the bulb does nothing.----If you are running with an onboard fuel tank I suggest running with a portable fuel tank and hose as a test.

Installed a portable new tank, fuel line and new bulb. Same issue, runs full throttle for a bout 3 or 4 minutes then surges.

Are ALL the fuel hoses 12 years old?

YES they are. Update. We took the VST off and replaced the fuel pump, there was a little black particles under the regulator and I couldn't get the screen out under the regulator. Pump had new screen, fuel bowl was pretty clean. No luck at all. Runs wide open for 3 or 4 minutes then surges. Wait 30 seconds and hit it again wide open runs fine for 2 minutes. Then surges. New tank, new fuel line to the motor, new bulb, new low pressure pump and filter before that pump, new high pressure pump and cleaned VST. The screen under the regulator is suspect IMO. Ordered a regulator, oring and screen under the regulator. HELP!!!!!!

The little black particles are pieces of engine fuel lines degrading. On one of my engines at 10 years of age running on E10 with additives, they got into my carbs and plugged them up. Took a good cleaning to get them all out and fresh fuel lines and fresh fuel filter.

Cut your fuel filter open and see what's in it. If tan crystalline particles, some part of a circle, it's from your tank to engine fuel line degrading and/or E10 degradation. Seems whose talking as to which it is but, as in the Eagles' song "Get Rid of It" (talking about an attitude with them) the fuel line and bulb.

Last edited:
The little black particles are pieces of engine fuel lines degrading. On one of my engines at 10 years of age running on E10 with additives, they got into my carbs and plugged them up. Took a good cleaning to get them all out and fresh fuel lines and fresh fuel filter.

Cut your fuel filter open and see what's in it. If tan crystalline particles, some part of a circle, it's from your tank to engine fuel line degrading and/or E10 degradation. Seems whose talking as to which it is but, as in the Eagles' song "Get Rid of It" (talking about an attitude with them) the fuel line and bulb.

The only fuel lines left to replace are on the engine itself. I ordered a regulator and the tiny screen under it. My next step is to replace all the fuel lines. The outside filter before the low pressure pump was no dirty but has since been replaced. Thanks for your interest.

The fuel line particles could have gotten into the fuel tank. Suggest you syphon the fuel from the tank and run the fuel through a fine mesh screen looking for fuel line particles.

The fuel line particles could have gotten into the fuel tank. Suggest you syphon the fuel from the tank and run the fuel through a fine mesh screen looking for fuel line particles.

Installed and new portable tank line and bulb. No difference.

Back