Logo

Did Interceptor ever make a 400-horsepower FE 390 or 427?

dogsharks38

Regular Contributor
Years ago the owner of a Higgins runabout called “Miss Higgy” said he had a 400, and I thought he said it was an optional low volume hi-po 390 that was available but did not have a warranty.

Anyone have any info on this?

thx
DS

I think the original "Miss Higgy" was 1960. The Ford FE motor came out in 58 but was still not capable of that horsepower, until the 390 cubic inch was introduced in 1961. Not sure where 400 HP would have come from in 1960. 427 was formally introduced in 1963, perhaps late 62. FE, stands for high torque, pretty good reliability, and horrible economy. The 427's, however are brutally durable. They have main bearing caps nestled in it's "y" configurated block, but adding cross bolting from each side, like the Chrysler Hemi's of the day.

Last edited:
Years ago the owner of a Higgins runabout called “Miss Higgy” said he had a 400, and I thought he said it was an optional low volume hi-po 390 that was available but did not have a warranty.

Anyone have any info on this?

thx
DS
CorrectCraft marketed a premium fuel only, non warrantied 400hp 427 interceptor in 64 and 65 in their top end Marauder model - I have one from 1964. It has dual four barrel carbs on a low rise edelbrock intake - it’s the only one that I have seen but many of the ocean race results in 64, 65 were headed by 400hp 427 interceptors in formulas

Back