Logo

1989 70hp Johnson

Bruce10

Need help. My1989 70hp Johnson is really hard to start, when I get it started it runs out great but when I stop and fish for a while it's really hard to start again. After starting runs out good.

Are you pushing the key in and holding it in during cranking ?-----How did the motor run for you last season ?-----What trouble shooting has been done if any.----Are you sure you understand the correct starting procedure ?-----Are you familiar with the operation of the ignition / spark system and fuel system on this outboard motor ?

Right. Amen to all above. How about one question for you? Can you describe your starting procedure?

Are you pushing the key in and holding it in during cranking ?-----How did the motor run for you last season ?-----What trouble shooting has been done if any.----Are you sure you understand the correct starting procedure ?-----Are you familiar with the operation of the ignition / spark system and fuel system on this outboard motor ?
Yes I am pushing key in. It will start after cranking for while and quit. repeat and run little bit quit. after several times will run. I bought boat in April and took to dealer to check. Put power pack and spark plus in. It was running down lake and would shut off. Doesn't do that any more. Runs out great after getting started. First Johnson i've ever owned didn't know if it was just the way they were. I've owned Mercury 40 hp for 13 years. Started easy every time. Thanks

These motors in good condition start right up.----No different than any other motor these days.-----So start by posting your compression test numbers.-----And is your battery in good condition and fully charged.-----If motor RPM is marginal while cranking these motors will not have spark.-----Thus hard to start

After it fires, you may have to push in the key to activate the choke/enrichener/primer....every few seconds until it warms up. Bingo, I think that's what your not doing. Am I right or wrong?

Thanks that may be a problem too. Last time I came home and put starting battery on charge it was 60%, Thanks guys. You guys are Awesome! May be a while before I get to try these things out. I'm in Ky and we have a lot of snow. Thanks

That news was heartbreaking. Never seen such devastation and I went to clean up hurricane Andrew in South Miami. A massive tornado certainly gives a short time to run for your life, unlike hurricanes.

Back