Logo

1980 evinrude 2hp

bobnoffs

i need to replace the needle bearings to the connecting rod crankshaft bearing. liners are ok. i have looked at a lot of vendors and the liner/needle bearing kit is unavailable. does anyone have a source for just needle rollers ? i thought i could have some needles made. thanks

Search the part # on ---google-----Never know what shows up.--Also the ---aomci ----has a free wanted ad and someone may have some stashed away.--What was wrong with the needles ?----Many other OMC products use the same diameter needles.----But a different # of needles , hence a different part #------I think I have some here, but shipping is out of the question.-----.

Last edited:
Was able to find those needles on a Lawnboy site.----Lawnboy mowers were an OMC product just like Johnson / Evinrude.----Just $31 and change for those bits.

There are 33 of those needles in the Lawnboy connecting rod.----And 30 of them in a Johnson 6 HP rod.----Found these needles on a lawnboy site $20 and change for 33 of them.

Last edited:
racerone,
thanks so much. do you have a lawnmower model number or a part number for the needles from lawnboy? after your 2nd post i went to a couple lawnboy sites and couldn't figure it out. i would really appreciate it.

Google for the D-404 lawnboy parts.----Site called Jack's.----Item #17 on the list.------I likely have a 1000 of those needles in engines and parts boxes.-----Free if you come and get some.-----What was wrong with your needles ?----Just curious here.-----Disclaimer , I am almost positive these are the same-----What was the exact diameter of the 2HP needles measured with a good micrometer ?----I will measure these Lawnboy ones to be sure.

Last edited:
i would be right over if you lived in n. wi.
i bought motor 25 yrs ago and i let sit as i found a crack in the casing where it clamps to stern. compression was terrible so it sat 25 yrs.i recently decided to rebuild it. someone before me had been in it because the water pump had parts missing when i dismantled it. i thought at least a ring must be bad so i pulled a piston. cylinder bore and piston look like new. so now i am not sure why compression is so bad. when i pulled piston i was very careful about needles and i am sure there were only 28, not 30. when i took it apart lower connecting rod felt so loose, maybe 2 needles short is why. anyway, i want to put in new rings and go from there. no needles though makes all this a non starter. so if i get the needles i will hone the cylinder, put in new rings and then go from there.

Measured needles on my 1967 Lawnboy mower and ones on a 6 HP Johnson.-----Both measure 5/8" X 0.0785".-----Measured with a micrometer made in Switzerland ( ETALON ) about 50 years old but very accurate.----I am quite sure the Lawnboy needles will work fine in your 2 HP motor

Interesting post, Racer is dynamite, not sure why you can't throw a few in an envelope? Outside of that, Bob can call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN @ 218 682 2331. Calley or Theresa will answer. Mike or Dan can advise, pack and ship. Simple! If that won't work I'll send you some.

Last edited:
I have sent parts to quite a few folks.----Trouble is I am old fashioned and can not tolerate the ---" I want it in 2 days crowd " ---of this day and age.

thanks so much for checking. i will have to get another mike's opinion. my number came from an electronic caliper and a mike that was probably 50 yrs. old when i got it in the early 60's.
i have no experience in all this so i don't have any idea how ''tight'' the needles are as they are laid in place. are they firmly touching all the way around? tomorrow i will track down another mike and try to locate the lawnboy part. thanks again.

Great family run business. 55 years in operation. Minnesota a has alot of nice older motors around, Wisconsin too. NW Ontario is also rich in outboard parts. I think Racer is in Eastern Ontario lotsa parts there too. I sell on eBay. Got great exposure to the whole world. I have shipped to Greenland, England, Germany, and Australia. Racer, how are we gonna get rid of all these parts? Any ideas? Maybe we can wholesale 'em to Marineengine.

Last edited:
Sweet. Tim's Outboard, did it. I know and trade with them but we are different entities. They are really great folks. Thanks.

Back