Logo

Key doesn’t turn off engine

Norm Magnuson

Contributing Member
I have a 1968 Evinrude 55 HP 55873R which I had to replace the Motorola ignition package. I replaced it with the correct CDI module and the engine starts and runs just find. The problem is the key switch will not turn the engine off. The original key switch worked great until I replaced the ignition package. I purchased a new key switch and it didn’t stop the engine when I moved it to the off position. I reinstalled the old original key switch with same results. I have had 4 calls to CDI and their recommendations have not corrected the problem. One technician suggested a new starter solenoid even though I had already installed one and the second one didn’t make a difference. CDI have not been able to provide any additional information. Engine starts and runs great. I reviewed the wiring schematic a 100 times and the wiring is correct. Any ideas?

Still having this problem ?------Post what wires you have on each terminal of the switch.----And are wires on the motor original or have some been replaced ?----Pictures help here.

Raceone,
I’ll try to make this short but I am known for providing too much detail. Looking at key switch from the rear.
The switch 4 prong, one at the bottom, one on the left side, 2 at the top which are connected.
Bottom prong is fed through a 20 amp fuse to the push button shifter and throttle control.
Left prong white goes to engine.
Top two prongs, left side red with white stripe goes to electric choke, red to “hot” indicator light, red to “on” indicator light. Right side of top prong is purple to shifter, solid red to engine.
7 wires leading from front/controls to engine. The red wire from the switch has 3 reds legs at the engine.
1) Red wire from switch to solenoid/hot battery lead.
2) Red wire from solenoid/hot battery lead to red wire from CDI 113-7123 battery power pack, 3 cyl.
3) Red wire from solenoid/ hot battery lead to vacuum switch.
Green wire from switch to throttle/gear selector.
Gray from switch to old ignition set-up which was replaced by CDI which is no longer used.
Red wire with white stripe to electric choke control at engine.
Brown wire to “hot” light and to engine block sensor.
Black wire to “on light” on dash to wire number 413-9901 black wire engine ground.
White wire from switch to bottom of middle post on solenoid.
White wire from top of middle post on solenoid to flywheel ignition.
Counting the 3 red wires as one, the 2 white wire as one, you have a total of 7 wires going to the engine.

CDI Box
Blue wire to coil.
Red wire to solenoid.
Black wire from CDI box to engine ground.
Black wire from CDI box to engine ground.

I believe I do not have the CDI Box connected correctly.

I have attached pictures but I cannot see where they are attached.

Let me know what your thoughts are and if the pictures came through.
Thanks,
Norm

Why is there a red wire from solenoid to the CDI box ?-----And which side of the solenoid does this red wire go to ?----Same side as the starter ?------Or same side as the battery ?

How do I attach photos?
I’ve tried for hours without success.

Not sure how to wire in the CDI Box. Red wire is connected to post on solenoid with battery power.

If red wire gets power directly from the battery it will not stop with the key.----I believe the 68 models had plug in connecters for the wiring.-----I do not see your motor so I do not know how you should proceed here.----But STOP until you understand the wiring.----Mistakes will be expensive.

4208a26e-aadc-4c9d-846b-4ded5fac9ea7
45b9a851-385e-4df3-9a06-530880f209ea
HTML:

Need to look at wiring so that 12 volts to amplifier ( CDI box ) is switched off when key is turned off.-----Work slowly and carefully or it might be expensive.

Here are the important instructions for the CDI Box. CDI # 113-7123.
8) connect the black/white wire to points.
9) connect the small terminal on the black wire to the points plate arm.
10) connect the large terminal of the black wire to the CD module’s mounting. DONE
11) connect the blue wire to the ignition coil. DONE
12) connect the red wire from the pack to the purple (or red wire ) from the ignition switch on the terminal strip or quick connect. Connected to the red wire which is connected to battery power. I have an old purple wire which was connected to the old Motorola amplifier but is not used.

there isn’t a black/white wire from cdi box
I have the black wire with from CDI Box with a plastic covering of a connector going up to the points. Is the other black wire from the cdi box connects to the points plate? There is a black wire which is grounded about 6 inches from the points to the engine block currently.
I lost about 80% of my reply as it would not post and I had to sign in again. Auto save isn’t dependable.
I have plugs and not a terminal strip.
I cannot post anything as all photos are over the size limits.
Thanks,
Norm

Call the CDI folks and ask for instructions for the 1968 model 55 HP.------Perhaps tell them about the plug in connecters and that there is no terminal strip !!----Step # 12 is the issue.-----Need to read that carefully.------Or perhaps put in a jumper wire.------Wire to go from the key switch , then directly to the red wire on the amplifier ( CDI box ) ------Contact the CDI folks.-----Study the wiring diagram of the 1969 / 1970 model 3 cylinder motors.

I have spoken with CDI folks over 4 times and their conclusion is their records do not go back that far. One tech told me to replace the starter solenoid which I did which, wasn’t a real answer or did any good. I have their instructions but when you cover so many different models with one instructions it gets very gray. I have been reviewing their instructions and my wiring diagrams from OMC for my engine model for 7 months and I still haven’t gotten it worked out. I’ll head back to the drawing board.
Thank you for your time, patience and understanding in helping me.
Thanks,
Norm

Sorry , but it should be easy.------And I think I have a couple of the 68 models on the shelf.------Only year with small teeth on the flywheel.-----And 7 months makes me think you have been looking in the wrong place.-----And I often say that 12 volts and wires cause a lot of confusion.-----Tried putting the old plug in connecter on the new CDI box ?

Yes it is very frustrating for me. I spent the last 20 years, first 10 years was in the construction business building and renovating hotels and the last 10 as the Director of Engineering in a 400,000 sq ft hotel. Since I retired 2 years ago, this was my father’s StarCraft and 55 HP which he purchased in 1968 new, and has been in our family and he gifted it to me. I’ve been restoring it as it has not been cared for 10ish years. I’ve pretty much rebuilt the engine, but for some reason not using the key to shut down the engine is the last item on the list, and it’s bugging the —— out of me. It’s working now except the shutdown of the engine. Haven’t worked on it everyday, but I want to have everything working. Before I ended up in the hotel business I had a 38’ sport fish in FL of which I rebuilt twin 327 inboards with no problems so this issue must be staring me in the face. Giving up is not a word I use so I’ll continue on…. This problem appeared when I had to move to the CDI Box, so like you said, I have one or two wires not connected correctly.

After talking to Clark at CDI, someone who know how everything works, I now have the answers to connecting the CDI box up. The key is the purple with green stripe. I have 6” of purple/green stripe at the key switch and again 4” which is connected to a plug at the motor.
From the motor to key switch, Purple w/green stripe to plug at motor.
At the motor plug, it switches to red wire w/ green stripe.
Red w/green wire to under dash and goes to throttle/shifter, but makes a u-turn at this plug and comes out to another plug where it changes to purple wire w/green stripe. This purple/green goes to the key switch. Purple w/green stripe is not discussed in any manuals or wiring diagrams. Since I only cleaned the carburetors last summer and replaced all parts below the motor, I’m now have rebuilt the carburetors and now working on the ignition. Once finished I’ll wire the CDI and hope it works.
Do you know what type/kind of oil I need to drip on the oil wicker?
If I have questions in the future may I contact you?
Thanks….Norm

Back