Logo

1982 johnson 60 hp

As far as i am concerned it needs a rebuild.----But yes it will run but not well.----Hope is eternal.-----Some folks just do not know how a good one runs.-----They have never had a motor in new condition.

Agree. The block that I pictured earlier, the guy called me, "Something's not right, I'm loosing power, I think it needs a tune-up". Hell the piston was pulverizing ring shrapnel. Compression was 40 psi. ??? I can't understand how some folks don't shut down when they notice things aren't working right. The top carb was plugged up.

Last edited:
Saw a video just now of a young fellow starting up a used 1967 Lawnboy power mower.----He raves about it because it started on the first pull and ran.------It did not run well in my opinion.----.----He shuts it off and I hear it coasting down to a stop.------A clattering piece of junk in my opinion !!

I got a couple Lawn Boys too. They are powerful if you don't bog em down, keeping the revs in the "sweet zone". Typical 2 stroke, eh? The way I perceive is a good running machine, whether it's a tiller, truck, tractor, or tricycle....is quite different than most.

Really your motor has 1/2 head bolts ????------Or are you referring to the size of the wrench used to remove them ??-----So the fact is your motor has 5/16-NC bolts for the cylinder head.----And the tork is 240 inch-lbs.------And I think I will step aside on this project now.

That's the right head, but I didn't mark it, sorry it's marked wrong.

Yes that is the correct head it's just marked for the cover plate bolts.
I stopped being lazy and looked some more and found it. I also found the tension which is 18-20 foot pounds.
I am on annual leave and spent time this morning on cleaning all faces. Gaskets and thermostat should be here by the end of the week. It's just a hack about fishing boat. I do try to fix as much as possible. I have more than what is required for safety gear

A 5/16-NC bolt is torqued to 240 INCH-LBS.------What do you get when you convert 20 FT-LBS to INCH-LBS ????------The water jacket cover has 1/4-NC screws to be torqued to 80 INCH-LBS.

Last edited:
Really your motor has 1/2 head bolts ????------Or are you referring to the size of the wrench used to remove them ??-----So the fact is your motor has 5/16-NC bolts for the cylinder head.----And the tork is 240 inch-lbs.------And I think I will step aside on this project now.

Sorry yes you are correct I am referring to the wrench to remove them. Not the actual size of the threaded bolt.

A 5/16-NC bolt is torqued to 240 INCH-LBS.------What do you get when you convert 20 FT-LBS to INCH-LBS ????------The water jacket cover has 1/4-NC screws to be torqued to 80 INCH-LBS.

There is 12 inch lbs in 1 (one) ft lb. I'm not sure what your trying to tell him ?

Sometimes is hard to explain stuff , yes.---I should just keep out of the way I guess.----Post #29 clearly states that torque is 240 INCH-LBS.------Then in post #40 it says he " stopped being lazy " and found the correct torque of 18-20 FT-LBS.

Last edited:
When torquing anything from about 20 ft. pounds and lower, it is recommended to follow inch pounds from there. Why? Very few ft. pound torque wrenches are acceptably accurate at these lower readings. I'm sure our OP here is not lazy, ha! I'M the lazy one....should be out shoveling snow instead of drinking coffee and learning from Racer.

Back