Logo

Early 70's Johnson 25, Kill button doesnt work

Ive been working on troubleshooting a problem on a 25 Johnson with points ignition where when I press the kill button all that I can find that happens is spark weakens a little bit, not enough to stop the outboard. I changed out the switch and inspected under the flywheel and nothing seems out of place. I even disconnected the kill wires where they have that quick connect after it comes out from the flywheel and jumped them together and it still never killed spark. The wires running under the flywheel look fine so I am really stumped here and any insight would be appreciated.

Right. Gotta check resistance at switch end of wire at your disconnects to the screw on breaker points. Gotta be something open on one of the wires. Since both points are never open at the same time, one of the points creates the ground to stop the motor, eh?

Last edited:
Right. Something is bad. There can be NO resistance to ground when the point set that the wire goes to is CLOSED. So turn the motor by hand about one revolution and see if the multimeter shows 0 as the points close.

Back