Logo

290DP-A Outdrive overhaul

CBMariner

I have got myself a 290 DP-A outdrive that I pulled off the boat so I could work in the barn in comfort rather in the -13deg weather we have here at the minute. I'm up in Nova Scotia, Canada and looking to get a parts list or what I need for an overhaul of seals on my drive. There is movement in the steering helmet, which I see the transom shield has two bushes, 854704 and 854705 I think they are. I'll do the usual bellows and coolant pipe replacement as well as the fitting where the coolant pipe links onto as the end of it is gone.. I have ordered a pressure/vacuum pump so will do a test on the unit once it arrives, but there was oil in the driveshaft bellows, which would indicate that the seal is gone there. Does anyone know the part numbers for the seals needed in this area? The U-Joints are in good condition, so will not be replacing them.

Also, where do folks generally purchase parts? ebay? VP dealer? I only got this boat last year, so this is my first shakedown of the unit and I am planning on doing the work myself. I built a cradle for it yesterday to allow me to work at it in comfort on the bench, and what I have found of what the last 'expert' did when they put the unit on increases my confidence in the fact I will be able to leave the unit in better condition than I got it.. shift cable mounted wrong, mild steel cap screws used in salt water install.... nuff said..

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to get parts ordered so I can get to the task in hand and get the unit made leakfree and ready for next season.

Best bet to avoid crazy shipping and duties would be to check the Volvo penta website for a local dealer. I have a (legal) electronic shop manual of this drive, that together with the breakout diagrams on the Penta website should get you the P/Ns you need. P/M your email address if interested.
Most seals on this drive easy to deal with EXCEPT the bearings/seals on the yoke ( the shaft that the drive rotates on when you "steer"). The Zerk fitting that is the lube point for this shaft is... ill conceived, at best. There are, besides these bearings/ seals, only 3 seals on the whole drive. The propshaft one requires a puller. Fortunately, the directions in the shop manual are very clear. The Non OEM manuals are a waste of paper.

DEpending on the age of the boat, consider replacing the shift cable. ( check cable sheath for date of manufacture)
While the Volvo shift system is bullet proof simple and reliable, the shift cable themselves "lead a rough life"....
And.... consider replacing the hose and mini bellows that the shift cable uses to transit the transom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The boat is a 1989 Holiday Mansion, and I would guess the sterndrive is of similar vintage. It has been in salt and brackish water for the last 20+yrs but I'm finding the internals to be in good condition. Gear teeth are excellant on the input shaft. The tilt and reverse latch are non existant, so I will 'fix' them in place. I dont need the hassle of them at this time. I dont plan to be in too shallow water. My mooring is 5-6ft of water in a cove with little tide.

Back