Logo

Rebuilding a 18HP

I bought an 18HP for parts a while back and now I am thinking about getting it in good working condition and trying to sell it. Is there a market for old 2 strokes. Just curious if it is worth the effort and if I canmake any cash off of it. I am thinking I could get it in selling condition with around $200 in parts maybe less??

It is a 1973 18HP
18304A

Rule #1: Don't expect to make any money restoring old motors. Do it as a hobby and maybe you will get your investment back.

I wasn't looking to make any money. I actually rebuilt a 25 HP for my fishing boat and actually learned that it wasn't as difficult as I thought and actually enjoyed it. I thought maybe I could make something of the 18 that I have sitting in pieces and get my investment back.

Yes, they are a pleasure and very relaxing to work on. If it looks and runs good, it can fetch about 800 bucks here in Northern MN. Not sure out in WA. Just sold a really nice 1973 25 Johnson short shaft, manual start for $1000. Got it at auction for $260 with a nice steel fuel tank and hose. ONCE a great motor, ALWAYS a great motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_211123746_compress13.jpg
    IMG_20210616_211123746_compress13.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
For sure, but I like the trades too. Probably will volunteer someday, like my old friend Bill. He tells us the great stories and fun times he has. I used to bring my Black Lab to the Nursing home, as well as the as the rehabilitation center in town here. Did tricks, so amazing....even counting the number of fingers you held up by barking. My mom used to sing and dance for them. As a child, she took me and my siblings to sing, dance and perform too. My specialty was singing "Hello Dolly" Louis Armstrong.....I can't sing it today without tearing up. Mom played the piano, Tim sang.

Back