Logo

New project

bigjohnson

Regular Contributor
Picked up a elto what I think is a 3hp 1940 4357-05903.
Paid just a few bucks so I'm going to play around with it and see if I
Will run. Clean and solid no rust or dirt. Decals almost gone.
Anyway any parts out there for these motors?
Any hidden traps regarding these old motors?

Find------aomci-------I think there are about 1499 or more members devoted to saving old motors.------Free " wanted " adds as well.

So I went thru the top end of the motor. Both cylinders are firing
but both coil/spark plug wires are shot so I ordered new
copper core by the foot.
Does anyone think modern automotive wires would work
in place of copper core wires?

That's what I thought. Oh well, I will solder the new copper wires
and hopefully it will last another 82 years.

Last edited:
Solder new wires and now everything is tight and solid. Also, points look
like new and getting good spark.
On a motor this old should I use 50:1 or 25:1?

Some might argue, (to coin my favorite "Racer" quote), but I would run 24:1. Oils are so much better these days. I have a 1936 model opposed twin, that is in great running condition. Amsoil wasn't around in 1972 when I was using it regularly. So I used the best oil I could find with leaded fuel.

Last edited:
Right. Racer been around a long long time, and I'm not far behind. I wouldn't try any leaner than that, hell....it's an OLD OUTBOARD. How is it NOT SUPPOSED to smoke a little?

Really? Then I'd consider 30 or even 40 to 1, with Amsoil pre mix 100:1.....or Saber. I have always mixed 64:1 in the "bushing" motors of the late 40's, to the 60's. Over 45 years of doing such has left me with dozens and dozens of sweet running motors, with comments like "What year is that?"......as I pull away from the landing.

I've heard it said:

"A man who won't tell the truth, is the same man who will piss in your boot, then tell you it's raining."

Last edited:
Certainly. It is way cleaner and a better substitute overall than a 4 cycle oil that would have been used in the 30's or 40's at 24:1. You had to keep a couple spare sets of spark plugs in your tackle box back in those days. It was safer to smoke a pack a day, than to go fishing.

Back