Logo

Wrong Prop?

SantiagoBaja

Just hung a new 60 HP on the back of a 2004 17' Tracker Pontoon. The local dealer did the rigging and put a 11.4X12 prop and the standard Tohatsu tach (oil warning light only). I am at 4 hours into the 10 hour break-in period where the manual says to go at 3/4 throttle with 1 minute at full in a 10 minute period. at 3/4 the tach is reading about 3000-3200 rpm or so. When I go to the full position, the tach only goes to 3800-4000 at most and the last 2 inches of travel does not seem to do anything to the engine other than it sounds as if it's laboring. Top speed is around 20MPH which is a little faster than the 50hp etec would go.
The dealer is closed all next week so I thought I would ask on this forum; I am new to Tohatsu, lots of Mercury time and some E-tec which was the previous engine on the pontoon.
Thanks

I installed the recommended prop for heavy load on Tohastu's website for this engine, a 12.1X9. The was very little difference, maybe I got a few hundred more RPMs at best, 4000-4100. Top speed a little bit less, maybe 1 mph at most. The 4000 rpm was reached at 3/4 throttle like before, but this time when pushing the throttle up the motor would labor a little like before but I got a faint beeping. It was not as load a beep that the tach does on startup, I'm not sure it came from the tach, maybe the motor?
Anyone know what that would be?
Am I stuck with an engine on this pontoon that will never get to the recommended rpm (5000-6000)?
Thanks

7 pitch for very heavy boats might work better than the 9 pitch. Pontoons are a lot to push at speed.

OK I just saw on Tohatsu's website that there is a 4 blade 11.4 X 7.1 #348B641081 for extra heavy loads and "some" pontoons. I will try that.
Hello, i know this is an oldish thread but worth a try. Did you have a chance to try this 4 blade Tohatsu prop? Did it increase rmp? I have very similar issue with my boat.

Back