Logo

'95 Johnson 225hp-Spark, no Spark??

tugdawg

Hi Guys, have '95 Johnson 225. Motor cranks but won't start occasionally. Changed the powerpak with OEM and found some coil paks defective, cheecked solenoid and fuse. Will start barely turning the key one day and no start the next...Checked for spark and now none. Stator or Optical sensor or any ideas?? Thinking it might be the relay assy because when I rattled it,(Ha!) it started once and stayed all day till the next.
Thanks, Bill

Faz, Is there another fuse location on the motor besides the main 20 amp one? I cant seem to find a schematic I can read that shows the location.

Thanks.

No only the one but it does not control ignition. Only controls power to keyswitch for starter,trim and accessories

timer base....replaced a many for this problem.

I guess your name is Pappy? Well, I tested the Stator today and it read .85 oms only. Accordinng to the Specs thats low so I'm going to replace that too. Tomorrow I'm checking the timer base to see if I need one of those. Awaiting parts. I ordered both just to save time if they're both bad. Keep you posted.
Bill

Any one following this thread I finished with two hiccups! �� Smooshed a small cotter pin in the timing sensor. God was with me! These CDI replacements have epoxy filled snd it went in there. What it did was keep the timing assy from moving freely. Had to take all off and inspect it. (Suggested by some nice guys from another thread.) Went back together nicely and worked. Replaced the stator since I had the FW off. Hiccup #2: Ring gear popped of when pulling. Thought I had to bring it to machine shop to press back on. Instead put the ring gear in the oven, top rack, on broil for 30’ and FW in fridge for 30’. Popped right on!�� On the hose she runs well. Going for an ocean run. Keep you’se posted! Thanks for the help guy’s!!

[Any one following this thread I finished with two hiccups! �� Smooshed a small cotter pin in the timing sensor. God was with me! These CDI replacements have epoxy filled snd it went in there. What it did was keep the timing assy from moving freely. Had to take all off and inspect it. (Suggested by some nice guys from another thread.) Went back together nicely and worked. Replaced the stator since I had the FW off. Hiccup #2: Ring gear popped of when pulling. Thought I had to bring it to machine shop to press back on. Instead put the ring gear in the oven, top rack, on broil for 30’ and FW in fridge for 30’. Popped right on!�� On the hose she runs well. Going for an ocean run. Keep you’se posted! Thanks for the help guy’s!![/QUOTE]

I did and it did..sometimes things go awry…but thanks. Now do you have any ideas why I’m not getting any spark again after changing out the timer, stator and powerpak. Ran great on the hose but sea trial was a disaster. Checked ignition and kill switch and no luck.

I did and it did..sometimes things go awry…but thanks. Now do you have any ideas why I’m not getting any spark again after changing out the timer, stator and powerpak. Ran great on the hose but sea trial was a disaster. Checked ignition and kill switch and no luck.

Check connectors as CDI's quality is dismal to say the least , most have found pins not fully seat into connectors.

Thanks Faz, but I installed a Johnson OEM powerpack. But going to try your suggestion.

## Is there a diode in the harness on a 1995 225hp/V6? What I’ve read is some do some don’t and that could be the issue? Before I start tearing into it I’d like to know..thanks.

Back