Logo

Troubleshooting Yamaha 90hp

cjdiamon26

Hello guys! I have a 2002 2 stroke Yamaha 90hp that I am having some trouble with and was looking for some input. It is on a project boat and sat for 10-15 years without being run. I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel filter, cleaned the carbs, replaced the spark plugs, and done all other things typical of a service. I am also using fresh non ethanol gas. It starts up without too much trouble and then idles slightly rough before either bogging and dying out or "sneezing" and proceeding to bog or die. I am still using the oil injection system and am not running premix. I am assuming that it is something to do with the fuel/carbs/mixture, but I am not sure and was wondering if anybody else had this issue. If I can figure out how to upload a video on here I will. Thanks for the help and have a nice day!

You have to investigate that sneezing sound.-------I do not believe the motor is running on 3 cylinders.----It sounds expensive to me.-----I always wonder when a boat sits for 10 + years.----Post results of a compression test.-----And you did service the lower unit and water pump I hope.

Compression is solid and was in the low 120's on all three cylinders. Motor actually has ver very low hours and has just sat outside for that long. Everything on the motor has been fully serviced but I do agree that it does not sound or feel as if all 3 cylinders are firing. Plugs are new but have pulled them several times and the cyl 2 plug is always pretty oily especially compared to #1 and 3.

Last edited:
Back