Logo

Default 1976 16' Marquis

I purchased a complete, but semi disassembled, 1976 Marquis trihull for $500. The floor is rotted, Mercruiser 120hp partially disassembled, and needs complete reupholstery. Any tips where to start?

Default Re: 1976 16' Marquis

The “Hull Truth” boating forum has lots of people who have/are rebuilding boats of all styles with all kinds of problems. Worth a look. As far as the Mercruiser goes I’d say this forum is a good place to start. I’m assuming your doing the work yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by William01 View Post
    The “Hull Truth” boating forum has lots of people who have/are rebuilding boats of all styles with all kinds of problems. Worth a look. As far as the Mercruiser goes I’d say this forum is a good place to start. I’m assuming your doing the work yourself.
    Correct. I will be doing all work myself. So I assume I should start with "Hull Truth"?

It's pretty much straight up fiberglass work. Lots and lots of itchy sanding in your future. I would go with polyester resin over epoxy only because it's less expensive and sets faster. That means you don't have to wait overnight for your work to set up. Get a couple cheap angle grinders cz you'll prolly burn up one or two in the demolition process. Aggressive grinding disc like 30 grit. Block it up level and square before tearing it apart. Wear a tyvek suit with the sleeves taped up, nitrile gloves, and a respirator and go at it.
    Buy bulk glass fabric and tape. I found a couple sellers on eBay that sell heavy biaxial cloth for fast build-up.
    Stick with a single system like Jamestown Distributor's "total boat" line. For paint, use Interlux Perfection.
    Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching

If it was me I’d be working on both at the same time. Get board of sanding, work on the engine, waiting on parts work on the boat. The Hull Truth is as resource that will offer suggestions of what your getting into and how to overcome obstacles that you will no doubt come across. I use The Hull Truth as an example of a resource that might help, there is likely many more sources of information on the internet, heck there could even be a forum or a Facebook page that is focused on restoring old Marquis boats. It’s your project and I’m sure your going to learn lots. I’d suggest take some pictures and post everything you know about your partially disassembled engine.(I’d start a new thread) It’s a starting point.

Nice to meet you William.