Logo

making the switch to 4 stroke

scalhoun506

Regular Contributor
this maybe wrong forum for repower talk, but here goes. stats, old (70's) 15ft cobia hull @ 1300lbs (yes i weighed it), presently 87' 48spl Johnson, cruise about 20mph @4200. looking at 40, 50 or 60 merc. am surprised at weight of hull, thoughts on if a 40 would due, maybe with command thrust option. have been on the Evinrude/Johnson forum for awhile but making switch to 4 stroke, loosing faith in the old Johnson after 2 tow ins.

Well---1300 LBS for a 15 ' hull seems high.------Go with a 70 HP 4 stroke in order to be happy.-----Cheaper to repair the 48 HP in my opinion.

What ever the max. hp rating is for the boat. It’s better to throttle back than running at WOT wishing you had more power. Going to be pulling tubes/skiers then go for the max rating.

Well---1300 LBS for a 15 ' hull seems high.------Go with a 70 HP 4 stroke in order to be happy.-----Cheaper to repair the 48 HP in my opinion.

I agree on both counts. Back in the late 1950s when FG boats were first coming out, a 15' with deck and windshield, back to back seats went for about 700#. Either you have a lot of accessories or a lot of stored water in the flotation.

I guarantee that you spend the extra money on the 70 and you won't look back. Every day you use your boat the extra money you spent will get farther and farther back in the distance and the enjoyment of having decent power to do what you want your boat to do will fill you with glee....you will continually compliment yourself for your wise decision. I've been over this road many times in my life and as I got older I adopted the practice......and haven't looked back.

Back