Logo

1995 johnson 50hp shift adjustment?

Bodhimike

Hi everyone! I just purchased a 50hp johnson to replace mine
The info tag is faded but it looks identical to my j50tleds 1996. The previous owner had the motor rebuilt and used it for a year before replacing with a new motor. I was told it was water ready. Before mounting to my boat I noticed when the shift detent ball is in neutral position, you can spin the prop and hear dragging. When you move slightly over so that the point on the right is pushing the ball in the prop spins freely. Otherwise forward and reverse seems to lock in properly. Question is does this need adjustment or do I correct by adjusting the shift cable when I connect? Thank you

Step # 1 is to verify shift rod is adjusted / set properly.-----Remove lower unit to do so.----Inspect water pump impeller at the same time.----Failure to do so could lead to expensive repairs.----These lower units are flimsy in my opinion.

Last edited:
After reading a bit seems straight forward. Drop the lower unit and measure from mating surface to center of bolt hole while in neutral? Does anyone have that measurement for j50tleds

Back