Logo

B50A Engine cover

Milgrip

I'm looking for a used engine cover/cowling for my 2004 Honda B50A. I always assumed that B50A engine covers were identical, but just to make sure, on further investigation at Boats.net, it shows a 2004 B50A engine cover, item 31 part no 63100-ZW4-H01ZA at $380.79. Whereas the 2003 B50A engine cover item 36 shows the part no as 63100-ZV5-010ZA at $676.97. Different part nos and a considerable difference in price. What actually is the physical difference between them, does anybody know? I don't want to end up with the wrong one.

I work on a lot of these 40's and 50's. It just so happens I have 1 of each here now. I've wondered this same thing, and suspect they're interchangeable. If I think of it, I'll try swapping them to confirm and get back a little later. The only difference between them I'm aware of is the bolt on plastic "handle" at the top rear. The older version ('03 and previous) is much thinner plastic and will generally break if actually used for a handle. Newer style ('04-'06) is heavier with just the faintest molded in "styling" where the original is smooth. I'm still pretty careful about using it as a "handle". Neither of the "handles" hold paint very well for some reason.... -Al

Thanks guys, any help you can provide is much appreciated and by the way if on the rear of the cover below the 50 sticker there is also a 2006 sticker, I am right in thinking this only denotes the emissions regulation standards of the engine and the cover could be somewhat older? I have seen one on ebay where the seller thinks otherwise.

So saw it with my own eyes, the early covers drop right on one of the '04-'06 engines and fits perfectly. So I'm going to say they are interchangeable - other than possibly the "handles".

The 2006 refers to the outboard meeting 2006 standards. My 1999 has the same 2006 sticker.

Agree. That's a really common mistake - or wishful thinking on the part of somebody selling something. The whole idea was to advertise the fact Honda outboards met the '06 emissions standards way earlier than required - so they were bragging about it in the form of that sticker - or so goes the story I heard. -Al

Back