Logo

Nissan ns90a 3000 rpm max

goodforbrains

Hi, so I have a 1988 ish Nissan ns90a. I have done a lot of work to this guy and am close to the finish line. I have taken it out a few times now and the engine won't rev past 3000 rpms. It idles great and runs very good all the way up to 3000 rpms. I am not getting any alarms so I'm not sure if she is going into limp mode or not. When I turn the key to start, I think that the horn is supposed to beep. I don't get any tone. So I took the oil sensor bullet apart and ground the end to the block and the horn activates. I reconnected that. I disconnected the water pressure switch and the overheat sensor at the electrical box. Dropped her in the water today and I get the same 3000 rpm max. I read somewhere that when the oil level sensor triggers, the engine doesn't go into limp. The oil light in the tach doesn't illuminate (I checked the bulb the other day). So I don't think it is the level sensor. I raised the motor to bottom hole... same results. Prop is 13.25x17. 17' Proline. Prop is in good condition. Brand new Atwood bulb and fuel tank is a portable that I use for my 9.8 four stroke with no issues. New factory fuel pump and gasket. New factory carb kits. Cleaned carbs 3 times. All new fuel lines. Original fuel connectors at engine. Compression is 135 in all 3 cyls. Brand new factory waterpump kit. I need some guidance on what my next steps should be. Thanks for reading and helping!

If the oil tank shows low, it will limit to 2800, but the buzzer should sound. You can dl your owners manual from tohatsu.com. If you have a lower pitch prop, I would try that. Also verify that your tach is not showing 1/2 of the actual rpm.

I'm not getting any alarms. I bought a mini tach to confirm my onboard tach was accurate. They both read the same 3000 rpm at wot. A 17 pitch wouldn't limit my rpms I don't think. I'm going to pull the carbs again and clean them for a 4th time. Lol. Thanks for the tip on downloading my user manual. I'm going to do that now.

Thanks Paul. According to the owners manual that I downloaded, safety limiting starts a 3500 rpms. And no rpm limiting occurs if the oil tank is low. Just an alarm. I believe my problem lies in my carbs being restricted, air being sucked into the fuel system or a faulty cdi. I'm leaning heavy towards dirty carbs still. Thanks for your help.

Back