Logo

Confounding 9.5 Evinrude Won't Run Unless Choked

Even Rude

This is not the first time this type of request has been posted but I have read about this on this forum and many other locations and I have tried suggestions of those who have so kindly responded. O Neptune, god of the sea and all who navigate her, enlighten me as to the solution (or anyone else who might have a clue as to what my next step should be. Thanks in advance.

I bought a 1964 Evinrude 9.5 Hp Sportwin outboard (two cylinder two cycle) from an older guy who said the motor ran before he put it away a couple years before. I’m now certain that was a lie. I took the carburetor off. The two screws con the upper section were corroded together. One head snapped off. I drilled it out and rethreaded it. The float bowl was loaded with white corrosion and crap. I installed a new float, needle and seat. I pulled the two Welch plugs out and cleaned every passage with a wire followed by compressed air. I pulled the bowl drain plug and tried to remove the high speed jet but I was scared that I’d damage it given my trouble in getting the screws out of the upper section. I could put a wire and carburetor cleaner through it and blew compressed air through it. I bought a brand new Attwood fuel tank and hose. (The fuel lines under the cowl from the connector on the engine to the carburetor looked like they were new. I removed the glass filter bowl and cleaned the screen inside. Using the squeeze bulb near the tank, it was easy to force the freshly mixed gas through the fuel system to the fuel line where I could get a gusher of fuel when squeezing. I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new aftermarket pump. I installed the low speed mix screw and backed it out 1-1/2 turns. Using the squeeze bulb with everything in place, there were no fuel leaks and the bulb was firm. (I installed regular tiny hose clamps or zip ties at all connections).

The guy that owned it said compression was 55 psi. I checked the compression myself and got 65 psi/upper70 psi lower. Other people who own this engine say 65-75 is the median to expect.

I got strong spark at each plug pulling over the engine.

After giving up pulling and pulling the rope starter, I used an electric drill with a ¾ socket on top of the flywheel to start the engine in a water tank. It would only run with the choke nearly closed and wouldn’t idle. The slowest I could go was about ¼ throttle. Water output from the pump was good. I thought maybe I’d missed something so I took the carburetor off again and disassembled and cleaned everything I could again making certain that every opening had a wire passed through it and then carb cleaner and then compressed air. I put it all back together, reinstalled and tried again. Same thing. The engine would not run without being nearly full choke. I also tried squeezing the bulb at the tanks to check if the engine was being starved BEFORE fuel got to the carburetor. While the bulb was slightly softer it was not soft and it had not collapsed like it wasn’t feeding.

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I removed the carburetor again, disassembled it and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner with about 1:4 sudsy ammonia to water and ran the cleaner for an hour with the solution at 140°F or so. It’s pretty remarkable what comes off when you think its already clean. I blew off the parts of the carburetor with compressed air including all the passages. I was confident it would do the job. It didn’t. The motor would still only run with nearly full choke. I thought that maybe the engine was sucking air from somewhere other than where it was supposed to so I took general purpose grease and dabbed it around the low speed adjustment screw assembly and around the throttle plate pivot shaft on both sides. Same thing. I tried opening the slow speed adjustment in ½ turn intervals until I got to about five turns out but it didn’t change the behavior. I’m running out of ideas to try. I’m wondering if anyone knows what the diameter of the high speed jet is as I’m tempted to find a drill to run through the orifice there.

Regarding ignition, I pulled the flywheel and checked both sets of points. I ran an fingernail emery board between the surfaces and checked the gap for each was at 0.020”. Coils and wiring looked good. I reinstalled the flywheel and the key. I checked the sparkplugs. They appear to be quite new and they didn’t show signs of wear or fouling but I notice that they are Champion J8C and there appeared to be quite a bit of soot from running rich. These are probably hotter than is suggested by Evinrude but I don’t know what influence these would have on my problem.

I went to the auto parts store and got new plugs. They didn’t have Champion but I got the Autolite equivalent of both the Champion J4C (recommended plug by Evinrude on their website – my repair manual covers a bunch of engines and they don’t say) and the equivalent J6C. I installed the Autolite 353 (the equivalent J4C) plugs and they make the engine start much easier. The engine will start with one or two pulls when I choke it. I don’t have to use an electric drill to turn the engine over but the running-on-choke issue was the same.

I took the carb back off of the engine and disassembled it again and placed it back in the ultrasonic cleaner with water and a ton of Dawn Dishwashing liquid (after watching Tarryl Fixes All on YouTube where he evaluates different solutions of ultrasonic cleaners). I “cooked” it for an hour at 160°F. I blew it all out with compressed air. I very, very carefully checked the high speed jet (at the bottom of the float bowl) with a bright flashlight and could easily see down it and stick wires through it. A 0.031” copper wire goes through easily. Folded over to 0.062” it wouldn’t fit. I took an 0.034” strand from a steel cable that would go. I chucked it in an electric drill and slightly bent the end over and ran it up and down inside the orifice to make sure there was no calcified crap that I hadn’t gotten and then blew it all out with compressed air. I tried putting tiny welding tip brushes that I have in it but the smallest would not go.

Thinking again that I might be drawing air from somewhere and leaning out the mixture, I replaced the fiber washer on the bowl drain screw with a buna-N o-ring and I did the same thing for the washer on the low speed mix adjustment. The o-ring sits comfortably against the shoulder in the carb pocket and when snugged down, seals against the adjustment needle shaft though I had kind of already eliminated the possibility of air blow-by when I glommed a bunch of grease around the shaft earlier. Pulling at straws now.

I reinstalled the carburetor and started the engine. Same thing. I’ve mostly run out of ideas. I don’t think I can be more sure about the passages being open inside the carburetor. There aren’t many more locations for air to enter the carburetor to lean out the mixture except at the junction of the float bowl portion and the intake manifold and at the section between the two carburetor pieces. Both gaskets are new. Considering using RTV on both sides of each gasket to eliminate the possibility of air entering. That would be the last place, I think, where unwanted air could enter.

I am now considering ordering another carburetor (all used of course since they don’t make this motor or after market carbs for it). Don’t know what else to do.

I found a used carburetor from a 1968 model of the same engine that was being offered on eBay. I have seen a number of them come and go and they were all solidly over $100 , some over $200. This guy was parting out his engine and it was over Xmas so there happened not to be a lot of activity and I was lucky to bid and buy it and get it delivered to my door for $66.00. It looked good – clean even. I mounted it as it came to me without cleaning or replacing any of the components and the engine will now run better (kind of) without the choke on (sort of). At slower speeds, it sputters occasionally and I can’t get it to a low idle yet. I also ordered another rebuild kit which just arrived and tomorrow, I will again remove this “new” carburetor, disassemble it and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner and then install all new stuff.

I took the carburetor back off of the engine and disassembled it and put it into the ultrasonic cleaner at 160°F for an hour. After rinsing it off in clear water, I blew out all the passages and then reassembled it with a new float and seat and needle and a new o-ring around the low speed idle adjustment and a new fiber washer at the bowl drain screw and then reassembled the two halves of the carburetor with a new gasket between them and then mounted the “new” carburetor to the engine. I reattached the fuel line with a zip tie. I started the engine. Virtually no change from before cleaning until now. If I covered ½ the carburetor horn with my finger, the engine would run and wouldn't sputter. When I took my finger away, the engine started to sputter. I tried adjusting the low speed mix richer but there was no change. If I took my finger off the carb horn, the engine would eventually sputter and die.

I am now considering ordering yet another brand new aftermarket fuel pump and replacing all the fuel lines from the connector to the carburetor but I don’t have faith that this will fix the problem. Any recommendations? I’m out of ideas.

Does spark jump a gap of 1/4 " or more , yes or no ?-----Perhaps motor is only running on one cylinder.----Note---I have worked of many of these motors and have a bunch for spare parts.

Thanks for the reply!!! The engine appears to be running on both cylinders. It revs quickly and strongly but tomorrow, I will rig something so that I can check each of the spark outputs separately for a 1/4" jump. At this point, I will try anything as I'm out of ideas and I defer to those who have experience beyond mine. Happy New Year!!!

Today, I took both wires off of the sparkplugs and I took a length of 12ga Romex wire and stripped both ends. I bent the one end over to make some friction with the sparkplug boots and I clamped the other end of the wire where I could see it with the end about 1/4 inch (maybe just a little less) from an engine component. I pulled over the engine and I could see a spark jump from the end of the wire to the engine. I did it for both cylinders. So the ignition is probably not entering into the equation.

spark 1a.jpg
spark 2a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, sorry I didn't get to this thread in time to save you time, aggravation, and money. The short answer is "crankshaft seals". If the guy ran ethanol, you can bet on it! I have several of these little gems around too. 65 to 70 psi is pretty great for these. Almost all the 9.5 in Minnesota have been thrown into the scrap because the crankshaft seals have been eaten by ethanol which has been mandated from the very start here in Minnesota as we are a top corn growing state. Sadly the seals seemed to have been originally made out of pure latex rubber which is very susceptible to ethanol and not like the newer replacement seals which are of synthetic composition. The replacement seals are less than $10 and same seal top and bottom. Take close note as you disassemble the motor because they are a bit like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle. Take care, Evin.

Again, thanks for your suggestions -- especially those like you who are familiar with this old engine. I'm trying to understand how failure of these seals contributes to the fuel starvation. Is is that since the fuel/oil is passing through the crankcase there is significant enough leakage past these seals that an insufficient charge is received in the combustion chamber? That's something that I would probably never have considered.

I found a parts diagram and I believe the Evinrude number for these seals (both top and bottom) is 309733. As a side note in shopping for these, I see there is a tremendous disparity in price from about $8 each to around $40 each. I don't think OMC or their current owner makes these themselves so probably all are aftermarket.

What happens is the seal will leak in air because it has to handle vacuum pulses. So instead of creating enough vacuum to suck fuel in from the carb, the crankcase inhales mostly air and not enough fuel mix. The symptoms will be more apparent at low speeds. You can test the upper seal easily by stabilizing your idle (as best as possible), then while motor is running, carefully spray carb cleaner with a nozzle fit onto it, direct the spray under the flywheel, making sure that no spray gets into the carb intake. You will notice a change of motor speed if the seal is leaking.

Last edited:
Further research today reveals a few things. 1. The upper seal is pretty easy to get to. The lower seal is much more difficult. 2. A special OMC tool (P/N 382944 for this engine) to remove the upper seal and maybe the lower seal too. Shopping around for this tool says that it's approximately $80+/- even on eBay. I think I'll have to call around to marine engine shops to see if someone will pull this for me cheaper. Otherwise, I'll have to fashion another way to pull the seal(s).

What happens is the seal will leak in air because it has to handle vacuum pulses. So instead of creating enough vacuum to suck fuel in from the carb, the crankcase inhales mostly air and not enough fuel mix. The symptoms will be more apparent at low speeds. You can test the upper seal easily by stabilizing your idle (as best as possible), then while motor is running, carefully spray carb cleaner with a nozzle fit onto it, direct the spray under the flywheel, making sure that no spray gets into the carb intake. You will notice a change of motor speed if the seal is leaking.

Ahhh. Thanks again. Makes perfect sense now. I guess that's also the way that the fuel pump work, that is, pulses from the piston.

Pull the flywheel.-------If seal is actually bad there will be oil all over the points and stuff.----Inspection of stuff is so elegantly easy !!----Looks like a custom made thermostat cover too.

Last edited:
Right. You can remove the seal by simply protecting the crankshaft with a piece of thin tin. Next drill a hole that's about 3/32" in the seal collar. I have a bit with an extended shank that is larger than the bit. That way you have more control keeping the bit where you want it. The chuck on most drills is too fat and can hit the crankshaft as your drilling with a standard length bit. Then screw in a self tapping sheet metal screw of the right size. Pry up on the screw to remove seal. Stubborn seals may take 2 screws, one across from each other. Another option is to borrow the stupid tool from your favorite outboard repair shop. Either leave them a deposit, or sometimes they might take your credit card information. It always pays to be friends with a good outboard mechanic/shop. You can measure the crank as well as the seal outer diameter, then go to your local industrial supply store that carries seals and bearings. I get that seal for under 10 bucks at Motion Industries, here in Duluth MN. Alternatively, if the seal is too costly or unavailable here on Marine engine parts, you can call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN and they will ship you a couple seals the very same day, if you call before noon. 218 682 2331. Talk with Theresa, Calley, Mike, or Dan. Family store, one of the best in the nation.

Last edited:
Pull the flywheel.-------If seal is actually bad there will be oil all over the points and stuff.----Inspection of stuff is so elegantly easy !!----Looks like a custom made thermostat cover too.

When I had the flywheel off before to check the points and the condition of the coils/wires, I didn't notice any oil or other mess but I suspect that this motor which is 58 years old probably has the original crank seals in it and I will change them both (probably) beginning with the easy one on top. It certainly can't hurt and since I'm out of ideas, I'll just keep following suggestions from folks like you and "timguy" who have been so generous with your knowledge and time. I have virtually no experience working on 2-cycle engines though I have owned several during my time.

Could be the seals got "punky" while it was stored for who really knows how long. Then we might not see the signs yet of the fuel mix leak. Might be the old guy isn't really lying about how it ran 5 or 10 years back. Storage time can be tough on rubber parts. What state was the motor from? Some states make it hard to find non oxy fuel. As of 2020, Louisiana, MINNESOTA, Missouri, Montana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington--have ETHANOL mandates. Maine has no requirements to sell ethanol, other states have followed. See this report:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-110323~2.png
    Screenshot_20220103-110323~2.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Right. You can remove the seal by simply protecting the crankshaft with a piece of thin tin. Next drill a hole that's about 3/32" in the seal collar. I have a bit with an extended shank that is larger than the bit. That way you have more control keeping the bit where you want it. The chuck on most drills is too fat and can hit the crankshaft as your drilling with a standard length bit. Then screw in a self tapping sheet metal screw of the right size. Pry up on the screw to remove seal. Stubborn seals may take 2 screws, one across from each other. Another option is to borrow the stupid tool from your favorite outboard repair shop. Either leave them a deposit, or sometimes they might take your credit card information. It always pays to be friends with a good outboard mechanic/shop. You can measure the crank as well as the seal outer diameter, then go to your local industrial supply store that carries seals and bearings. I get that seal for under 10 bucks at Motion Industries, here in Duluth MN. Alternatively, if the seal is too costly or unavailable here on Marine engine parts, you can call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN and they will ship you a couple seals the very same day, if you call before noon. 218 682 2331. Talk with Theresa, Calley, Mike, or Dan. Family store, one of the best in the nation.

I ordered a couple of seals yesterday that should be here later in the week. There are a couple of good videos on youtube.com, one by a guy who does outboard motors exclusively and he says that virtually every motor that comes in requires an upper crank seal replacement. He shows how to do it using the Evinrude/Johnson tool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctQbohLNUmw) and he says that he has replaced "six seals this week". There is a good video showing what you describe using a couple of screws also (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQwulUnPxew). I think this will be my preferred method. I really, really, really appreciate your recommendations and especially that you take the time to answer and explain. I will keep the contact info for these shops also as finding parts for old engines can sometimes be pretty challenging. Thank you again!!

Find and repair what is wrong.----The bulb on the hose is nothing but a manual fuel pump.---It does nothing once motor is running.------If motor operation does NOT improve when you squeeze it the fuel pump on the motor is working OK.-----No need to rush out and spend beer tokens on a new one.-----Cleaning carburetor 3 or 4 times means that likely there is something else wrong !!------And those first year models had an issue with too much shaking at idle.----Factory came out with a kit to stabilize the powerhead.----I installed quite a few back in those good old days.

Yes, Racer. I'm still living the "good ole days". Resisting change....helping great folks like Evin, keeping these old gems running. The government is trying to destroy them with emission standards and ethanol. You certainly understand that as well. Racer, a toast to you, for all your kind help and expert support. You are certainly picking up the slack here, especially since 'Ole Joe Reeves has retired. Evin, so glad to try and help, my friend.
P.S. I originally started the Forum in 2011 under another name, then went to Iboats for awhile. Some jerk there kicked me in the crotch, so I bid farewell and came back to Marine engine as "timguy". There used to be a nasty smartass on Iboats, he's probably retired now.

Last edited:
Could be the seals got "punky" while it was stored for who really knows how long. Then we might not see the signs yet of the fuel mix leak. Might be the old guy isn't really lying about how it ran 5 or 10 years back. Storage time can be tough on rubber parts. What state was the motor from? Some states make it hard to find non oxy fuel. As of 2020, Louisiana, MINNESOTA, Missouri, Montana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington--have ETHANOL mandates. Maine has no requirements to sell ethanol, other states have followed. See this report:

I believe that this engine has lived its entire life right here on the gulf coast of Florida and despite ethanol-blend gasoline, the seals in this engine are probably originals at 58 years old. Regardless, they should probably have been changed.

I was not aware that you could buy unadulterated gasoline in this state except at HD or Lowes for small engine at exorbitant prices in quart or gallon cans. But in speaking to one of my close friends who told me that you can actually buy "real" gasoline at some Wawa stations, (a chain that is invading this state with a vengeance). He also told me that most marinas also have "real" gasoline. So, not only am I being schooled in old 2-cycle engines, I am also learning about fuels in Florida from a guy in the cold cold north! LOL. Thanks again!

Last edited:
When you get non oxy from a retail gas station, make sure....if it doesn't have a dedicated non oxy hose....that if the last purchase was regular ethanol, the first gallon you pump will have ethanol in it, until the valve switches and clears out the cheap stuff. The Wawa stations might have a dedicated hose for their non oxy, however. Most stations up here are going to dedicated hoses now. Remember, ethanol produces about 1/3 less power, so a 10 percent ethanol mix will give you about 3 percent less power. Not a lot, of course, but factor in the hygroscopic properties that it brings to the fuel, along with it's detrimental effects to anything containing rubber, and many plastics as well. Then make your choice. I have been against ethanol since I first noticed it's damage to outboards and small engines, as well as my collector and seasonal use vehicles. By producing ethanol from corn, soybean, and other foods/feeds, factoring in additional farmlands created for it....there really is no gain, especially when considering balancing CO2, levels and the repercussions of creating a less effective/efficient fuel.

Last edited:
When you get non oxy from a retail gas station, make sure....if it doesn't have a dedicated non oxy hose....that if the last purchase was regular ethanol, the first gallon you pump will have ethanol in it, until the valve switches and clears out the cheap stuff. The Wawa stations might have a dedicated hose for their non oxy, however. Most stations up here are going to dedicated hoses now. Remember, ethanol produces about 1/3 less power, so a 10 percent ethanol mix will give you about 3 percent less power. Not a lot, of course, but factor in the hygroscopic properties that it brings to the fuel, along with it's detrimental effects to anything containing rubber, and many plastics as well. Then make your choice. I have been against ethanol since I first noticed it's damage to outboards and small engines, as well as my collector and seasonal use vehicles. By producing ethanol from corn, soybean, and other foods/feeds, factoring in additional farmlands created for it....there really is no gain, especially when considering balancing CO2, levels and the repercussions of creating a less effective/efficient fuel.

Great thought about hoses. I also never understood the whole ethanol thing. Yes, I'm as "green" as I can be so renewable fuels would be great except it takes quite a bit of energy to produce ethanol so the gains from blending these fuels is of limited value and all the problems these fuels create, especially in older engines that weren't expecting to be using fuels like this.

Repair what is wrong.----Could be as simple as throttle plate opening too early.----Checked the reed valves ?

The reed valves are immediately below the carburetor and are easily inspected when it's off. Visually, they appeared to be fine. There was no residue or carbon holding them from sealing. I used carburetor cleaner sprayed in there just to wash away rogue particles. I sued a pencil eraser on the end of a pencil just to press against them to check for cracks and make sure they were free to move.

The throttle plate is actuated by a cam follower on the end of the shaft that follows a cam on the bottom of the ignition plate under the flywheel. There is a tapered screw that holds it in place relative to the throttle plate position. I experimented with this setting. There are other threads I have read that talk about how to properly set this and I tried both advancing and retarding the point at which the throttle plate opens with virtually no change in the behavior of the engine.

Thanks again for suggestions. I'm looking forward to installing the new crank seals at the end of this week (hopefully).

Sounds like you've.done a thorough job on this. A close visual inspection of the upper seal should indicate a failure. You will notice a poor sealing surface against the crankshaft and perhaps you can even see a space between the sealing lip, which of course faces downward, and the crankshaft itself. Take a close look.

Here's the follow-up to my previous posts. The seals arrived late last week and over the weekend, I attempted to remove and replace the upper seal. The seal for this engine are quite small. The OD is 1.190 and the ID is about 0.760. The metal portion of the seal top surface (on a side) is only about 0.156 wide so putting a hole through it and using screws to engage the hole and pull it is difficult so first I tried making some 12 ga. copper Romex wire(thinking it would not damage the crankshaft, I ground the sides of the wire to make it thin enough to fit between the seal lip and the crank) and bent the tip over tightly and stuck it between the seal and the crankshaft journal then turning it under the seal lip and pulling. Nothing. The wire was not strong enough to resist the pull I made another one and tried the other side. Then I tried both at the same time. Still no movement of the seal and the copper wire hooks bent under the pressure.

If there was no oil all over the points then the seal was still good.-----But now I believe you may have damaged it.-----There is no option but to replace it.-------Perhaps you can find a local friendly shop with the factory puller.-----Seal can be removed in just minutes.-----After all factory tools are the best time savers around.

There were some tell tale signs of a leak. There was a very fine coating of oil on the "ignition plate" and its components but not like it was sprayed all over -- just a coating. Still, I noticed that the seal on this motor had the original part number stamped into it so I assume that it was the original and since the motor is 1964 that means 58 years in service and another forum contributor here was saying the ethanol in "modern" gasoline eats these seals so...........

20220108_131626a.jpg

On Sunday, after watching a couple of pretty good videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H52J-XPTx24) of guys really familiar with removing these seals and their techniques, I went after it. First I spayed PB Blaster Penetrating oil around the seal. Then, I used a drywall screw and a hammer to punch a hole at the edge of the seal where it meets the engine casting. I then used a 0.125 drill to open the hole with a piece of plastic from a "to go" container jammed between the crank and the drill to prevent a gouge. I screwed the screw in so the tip would meet the bottom of the pocket where the seal was seated and pull the seal upward. No movement. I put another hole and screw 180 degrees opposite. No movement. The pressure from the screws were tearing at the seal and breaking the threads off of the hardened screw!!! I put two more holes so now I had four at 90 degrees apart and screwed down all four screws. I ground the points off the ends of the screws and reinserted so I had fresh threads gripping the seal lip and a flat bottom against the bottom of the pocket. Still no movement. I used a small screw driver and hammer to slip between the OD of the seal and the wall of the engine casting and a pair of long nose pliers that I ground to be much narrower to get into the holes that I had formed with the screws. Ultimately, I was able to remove the seal which represented about three hours of try-and-fail strategy. I CAREFULLY INSPECTED THE CRANKSHAFT JOURNAL WHERE THE SEAL SITS AND THERE WAS NO DAMAGE. I cleaned the pocket with brake cleaner, a rag and compressed air. I used a small ignition file to smooth some of the "jaggies" I made on the top of the block casting where the ignition plate sits. I used a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe that I drilled the center out to fit over the crankshaft (no socket wrench was deep enough to clear the top of the crank), coated the outside of seal with a light layer of grease and tapped in the new seal. I reassembled the engine and started it. The engine will now run without the choke on but it still will not idle low where it's supposed to without stalling. It also "coughs" the "lean cough" occasionally every five seconds or so. It revs easily and goes easily to high speed. So now, I'm thinking that I should try to replace the lower seal. (Dreading it). I have not seen a single video on YouTube (or anywhere else for that matter) of someone doing the powerhead removal to get to the lower seal and the service manual I have is pretty weak in terms of instruction on doing this. Before I'm done, I will likely have a brand new 1964 motor.

20220109_163204a.jpg20220109_163214a.jpg20220109_163222a.jpg

Glad you were able to get the seal out. I fought a bit with too small/wrong screws, just split the case as it added only half hour to the repair. Cleaned up the crank with some steel wool, cleaned up the cases, light layer of Gray Honda-bond sealer, two new seals and was back in business. Super smooth idle, no more cough at idle. Previous to this repair I did the full carb repair. Had to bend the float more than OEM spec as it would not fill the bowl enough. Also found the original fuel pump check valves were plastic and were worn. Dug though my bucket of parts and found a pump with metal check valves that sealed correctly. Also bought a small rubber bellow from a Mercruser shift link, cut it down a bit and repaired the 9.5 shift below down in the bottom end. New prop and my dad has a great fishing motor. Let up know how yours goes.

Good job. Did the seal rubber seem kinda "punky"? Did it leave rubber residue on your fingers? From your nice clear photos, it looks to me as it was a "gonner". Racer has stated that they will leak for awhile before they are total failure....allowing unmetered outside air to enter the top cylinder. So if you saw noticeable improvement on your job here, you can expect the lower seal is nasty, as well. Keep in mind, the lower seal is a "cakewalk" compared to the upper. Just gotta figure your steps in order when dismantling the housing, and removing the powerhead, then exact reversal when assembling.
Hello to Brian from Duluth. -17 this morning with pretty sweet wind chill near -35. I'm repairing outboards on the kitchen table, Raquel says to get my a** down in the basement where I belong.

Last edited:
Here's the follow-up to my previous posts. The seals arrived late last week and over the weekend, I attempted to remove and replace the upper seal. The seal for this engine are quite small. The OD is 1.190 and the ID is about 0.760. The metal portion of the seal top surface (on a side) is only about 0.156 wide so putting a hole through it and using screws to engage the hole and pull it is difficult so first I tried making some 12 ga. copper Romex wire(thinking it would not damage the crankshaft, I ground the sides of the wire to make it thin enough to fit between the seal lip and the crank) and bent the tip over tightly and stuck it between the seal and the crankshaft journal then turning it under the seal lip and pulling. Nothing. The wire was not strong enough to resist the pull I made another one and tried the other side. Then I tried both at the same time. Still no movement of the seal and the copper wire hooks bent under the pressure.

20220108_152327a.jpg20220108_152309a.jpg20220108_152250a.jpg

That seal didn't look that bad, bit if it helped to run the motor with no choke on...., for the first time ever,....then I would suspect we are on the right track. The lower seal must be pretty bad. Once again....hats off to Racer. You 'da man. The lower seal inspection requires at least a lower unit removal and a very good light, not to mention sharp eyes. Otherwise you will note an exceptional amount of oil at top of driveshaft.

Back