Logo

70's Merc 50HP 4 Cyl Carb Fuel Bowl Screw Gasket Question

travis0332

Happy New Year!

I started rigging boat up for some cold water fishing next week. I turned the key and the 77 Merc 50HP started right up like a Merc should. However, I apparently have let boat sit too long because fuel is continuously dripping from top carburetor - I last rebuilt them about a year ago.

I pulled carbs off (only swore twice this time removing bottom one) and inspected both of them. They both look very clean but sprayed them out and blew out with compressed air. In my parts drawer I found some unused gaskets that I will use to reassemble. I did not pay attention to which bowl screw gaskets to use on the inside and outside of fuel bowl. Does it matter? One gasket is a red fiber gasket and one is a fatter grey gasket. My initial thought was the red fiber goes inside fuel bowl as it is in constant contact with gasoline & ethanol.The good source of Youtube though shows that people have placed the red fiber gasket on outside of bowl and gray gasket on the inside. The parts diagram shows that they are identical, but they are not per the rebuild kits that I got some time ago. The red gasket is smaller/thinner than grey gasket. Anyone know which is correct? (The parts diagram has both gaskets as #12)

Thank you.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Mercarb.gif
    Mercarb.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Carb Gasket Set.jpg
    Carb Gasket Set.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 64
I put the red to the outside....

Okay I looked at both closer and your way seems best. The red seal fits perfectly into recess on inside metal tube but seems like it'd still allow metal to metal contact, not the best seal. The grey gasket covers entire middle metal tube and seems like it completely seals it to bottom of bowl. I know this seems like a small detail but don't want to take these off engine again for awhile if I don't have to lol. Thank you for reply

Carburetors do not have to be rebuilt every year.------Run fuel out if boat won't be used for a week or more.-----An empty carburetor stays clean !!

Thank you both for suggestions. Assembled carb and motor was purring like a kitten. I ran carbs out of gas so hopefully won't have to touch them for awhile.20220107_144716.jpg

Back