Logo

V6 over heating

kolargun

I picked up a boat motor combined a little over a year ago. Didn't pay a lot for it because of a couple of reasons. Many reason no official paper or registration. Long story short I had to go to court to get Texas Parks and Wildlife to put a serial number on motor. All that being said. I don't know the year of the motor to get correct manual to track down cooling lines without pulling off a bunch of electronics off. The motor cover is not correct, says 200 Optimax. Which is not correct since it is a carbureted motor. Water pump has been changed and no leaks in lower. So plumbing is good.
With water muffs on it has a great stream of water coming out and will run fine for 10 minutes. Put in the lake and runs about about half mile and horn goes off to signal over heating, during that the water stream coming out turns very hot then stream of water pretty much shuts off. Then of course I shut motor off. Let cool and start process over again. I have ran cleaner through the block 3 or 4 times. I'm told my area does not have any good boat maintenance shops, since were in the heart of oil country! Any help would be great.
Thanks

??---It only " sounds " wonderful on a hose.----They all do with no load.-----A leaking head gasket can pressurize the cooling system.----Puts air into the water jackets.-----Pump can not overcome this !-----Have you checked thermostats poppit valve in the cooling system.-----Best to stop running this motor and sort this overheating out.-----Much damage can be done to the motor.

Back