Logo

Merc 1150 ignitio

TonyW

I have acquired a Merc 1150 6cyl with distributor type battery CDI that seems to have lost its spark.
There appears to be no power from the switchbox to the distributor and therefore no trigger voltage returning. The manual only states I need analyzer C-91-62563A1 which I dont have, is there a method of testing without this analyzer before I waste $$$ replacing the switchbox when it isnt the problem??
I cant ask previous owner when the engine last ran for any indication of a problem.
Tony

Is the wiring all there and in good condition? Are you getting +12v to the white and red wires on the stbd. switchbox side? You can test the trigger and switchbox with this procedure
Trigger-shooting_Page_1.jpgtrigger-test.jpg

Most likely the trigger...I can count on 1 hand the switchboxes I have found bad for these models and filled a 30 gallon drum with triggers. Dont spend a dime on this engine till you check compression

Is the wiring all there and in good condition? Are you getting +12v to the white and red wires on the stbd. switchbox side? You can test the trigger and switchbox with this procedure
View attachment 28122View attachment 28123
I get constant 12v at 1 terminal and ignition switch controlled 12v on the 4 terminal side but no volts anywhere on the 3 terminal side that connects to the distributor with distributor connected or disconnected. Something I should have checked (but havent yet) is earthing and as the boat is stored 20 mile away makes testing a little difficult.
Tony

While I havent done compression test but it cranks over as though it has at least reasonable compression and will need to find a compression guage that has suitable angle for the bottom cylinder. I know about the bottom crankshaft seal problem as I have condemned a couple of other engines for that problem in the past.
I have 1 constant and 1 switched 12v on the 4 terminal side of the box but nothing on the 3 terminal side that connects to the distributor so I doubt the trigger will work when it isnt getting power considering its design.
Tony

There is no voltage test for the 3 wire side...just remove blk from switchbox, jumper the brn&wht together and then take a wire from grnd and tap blk terminal. If it sparks switchbox good and trigger has a problem. It is not a hall effect system.

Last edited:
There is no voltage test for the 3 wire side...just remove blk from switchbox, jumper the brn&wht together and then take a wire from grnd and tap blk terminal. If it sparks switchbox good and trigger has a problem. It is not a hall effect system.
I will try this next time I get to the boat which could be a couple of weeks.
Merry, healthy and safe Christmas
Tony

Back