Logo

1996 FORCE 75hp: Replaced stator & trigr, now turn key switch & nothing??

My situation:
1996 FORCE 75hp
Magnets broke under flywheel. Replaced all new flywheel, stator & triger. FIRST after I installed NEW flywheel and tried to crank engine turned over but seemed to kinda bog down, kinda like weak battery, but would not start. BUT engine did turn over. Made sure both batteries were charged up and load reading test ok. Still sounded like weak battery BUT engine turned over from key switch.

So I bought new stator and trigr. Easy enough process to install and connect to color coded wiring.
Now I have all brand new flywheel, stator & trigr.

Problem:???
All new ignition parts connected and crankshaft nut torqued and ready to go.
BUT turn ignition key switch and NOTHING!!!! Will not even turn over. :(
I touched nothing else in the process except the stator & trigr connectors.

hmmmmm ??
What could I be missing?
thanks~

Last edited:
Both crank and house battery show 13.3v
Hooked remote start to +/- on starter solenoid and NOTHING (heard the click both from keyswitch & remote start)
starter solenoid @ +/- showing 13.3v
Voltage regulator showing 13.3v

I connected the NEW CDI stator 2 yellow wires and green/green and whtgrnstripe/whtgrnstripe
NEW Trigr wires connected brown/brown, white/white, ppl/ppl and ground.
Both fuse links look intact.

I have to be missing something real easy here!

I have an OEM quicksilver stator also bit installed the CDI.

My situation:
1996 FORCE 75hp
Magnets broke under flywheel. Replaced all new flywheel, stator & triger. FIRST after I installed NEW flywheel and tried to crank engine turned over but seemed to kinda bog down, kinda like weak battery, but would not start. BUT engine did turn over. Made sure both batteries were charged up and load reading test ok. Still sounded like weak battery BUT engine turned over from key switch.

So I bought new stator and trigr. Easy enough process to install and connect to color coded wiring.
Now I have all brand new flywheel, stator & trigr.

Problem:???
All new ignition parts connected and crankshaft nut torqued and ready to go.
BUT turn ignition key switch and NOTHING!!!! Will not even turn over. :(
I touched nothing else in the process except the stator & trigr connectors.

hmmmmm ??
What could I be missing?
thanks~

Stator and trigger have nothing to do with starter turning the flywheel.-----Shifter in neutral ?----Checked the neutral start switch ?-----Use booster cables directly to starter and report what happens.

shift in neutral: check
neutral start switch: will have to ck that (will I need to even if booster cables2starter did not work?)
booster cables direct from rank battery to starter: yes, no turn over just a spark-no starter response at all. :(
Guess the next step is to replace the starter and heck, moght as well replace the starter solenoid. AMZN both for under $100

THANKS!

269385736_6688925737848009_7294805185021075794_n.jpg

.... THIS solenoid starter FUSE ..... HAS to be the problem!
Did not ck that today. :( On the other side of the engine away from where
all the work I've been doing is! ROOKIE mistake, maybe? Plus, I was
studying the Marne Engine diagrams and could not find a reference.
A Friend suggested "fuse" so I looked in my 1006 FORCE 75hp service manual and found it on page 2B-6
#fingersCROSSED!
I'll ck it in the cold ***** rain tomorrow! THANKS!

Test light= tl ? Someone at the key, turn key to start and tl at the yellow/red lead at the solenoid. Yes/no?
TL at the solenoid battery posts. Should have power at both when the keys turned on.
TL at the starter when the keys turned, should have power???
The using cables for jumping the starter probably won't help, needs to be hooked solid, the wires in most jumper cables are too small and won't carry the load.

When you did have it turning over you said it was slow/sluggish.
Have you done a compression test? these 3 cyl. if the comp is off on one cyl. the motor has a hard time turning over.
Also if the lower unit had bad bearings it can make it slow to turn.

Back