Logo

Water in Fuel Code on 2018 mercury 150hp 4 stroke

Kinghunt

When trolling last weekend my 2018 mercury 150hp 4 stroke engine threw a water in fuel code. I had run the engine for 30 miles with no issues began to troll and starboard engine cut off. When I tried to crank the engine there was no power at ignition switch or gauge. Upon several tries the engine would crank and run for about 5 seconds would beep 3xs then cut off. Water in fuel was registering on gauge. Limped back for about a hour on other engine and tried the starboard engine again and it cranked up and ran fine the rest of the way home, however the water in fuel code still came up.

Seems to be running fine but concerned about taking it out again without knowing what is causing the engine to cut off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure. Water really rough that day and I did find signs of salt water under cowl after I returned.

Water filling the cowling is a problem, it will set off false codes..... Pull the cowling, have someone run the boat while you look. Watch coming off plane after looking, don't let the water behind the boat flood the engine.

I think you're onto something. I'm going to run the test you described, however if this is the problem what would be the remedy?

Back