Logo

350 Mag trim help

skinut1

Contributing Member
I have 2006 240EX Crownline with a 350 Mag and Bravo III outdrive. When I press the trim rocker switch on the gearshift/throttle the selonoid on the trim motor clicks every time but only activates the motor about every 10 clicks or so. A little worse when trying to lower.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jonesboro, AR

Ayuh,..... Start by cleanin' to shiny metal Clean, the battery to pump cables, 'n the connections to the solenoids,.....

At the trim pump

1. Three prong connector-wires from trim/handle
2. TWO solenoids. UP - BLUE wires. DOWN - GREEN wires.
3. Motor- 4 wires.
RED Power
Black- Ground
Blue - UP
Green- Down

TWO Solenoids.
4 connections on each

Top posts, both solenoids- Large 10 ga wire, One is RED wire (Power). One is Blue or Red wire which feed Motor

Small posts on solenoids. 16 ga wire

BLACK- Ground

Blue or Green. Up or down from three prong connector and trim button in handle. (low current)

If you press handle button and solenoid clicks do this to test solenoid.

Make a Jumper wire.

Connect one side to Battery +

Now touch other end of wire to either solenoid SMALL post BLUE OR GREEN connection ONLY!!!!
This will act as the trim switch in handle but bypass the wire harness.

If solenoid still clicks and does not make motor run each and every time you touch jumper to small green or blue post, the the solenoid is defective.

If this is the case, REPLACE BOTH as a preventative measure.

If the motor runs each time you jump the small post then the issue is in the wire harness and I would start at the three (3) prong plug.

Of course Follow the connection cleaning first

Last edited:
At the trim pump

1. Three prong connector-wires from trim/handle
2. TWO solenoids. UP - BLUE wires. DOWN - GREEN wires.
3. Motor- 4 wires.
RED Power
Black- Ground
Blue - UP
Green- Down

TWO Solenoids.
4 connections on each

Top posts, both solenoids- Large 10 ga wire, One is RED wire (Power). One is Blue or Red wire which feed Motor

Small posts on solenoids. 16 ga wire

BLACK- Ground

Blue or Green. Up or down from three prong connector and trim button in handle. (low current)

If you press handle button and solenoid clicks do this to test solenoid.

Make a Jumper wire.

Connect one side to Battery +

Now touch other end of wire to either solenoid SMALL post BLUE OR GREEN connection ONLY!!!!
This will act as the trim switch in handle but bypass the wire harness.

If solenoid still clicks and does not make motor run each and every time you touch jumper to small green or blue post, the the solenoid is defective.

If this is the case, REPLACE BOTH as a preventative measure.

If the motor runs each time you jump the small post then the issue is in the wire harness and I would start at the three (3) prong plug.

Of course Follow the connection cleaning first

Thanks so much. Ya'll are a lifesaver. A lot of knowledge on here!!!

Back