Logo

2004 BF9.9 Power Trim Issue

Jobenshain

Hi
I ran the trim to raise the motor yesterday morning. Several hours later tried to lower the trim and it went a few inches and stopped all together. Now the motor wont trim when i try to lower it. It wont raise either. And it make no noise at all when the switch is pressed up or down. no clicking or anything.

What would you all start with? I thinking the power trim switch. But not sure. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I should have added that the fuse is in a "fuse holder" mounted at the very top rear left of the engine. Left meaning if you are looking from the back of the outboard.

Don't just look at the fuse, take it out of the holder and test it with an ohmmeter. A blown fuse can sometimes look ok and have you chasing your tail if you don't properly check it.

Also, take note of any corrosion on the fuse blades and the contacts in the holder. Electrical contacts are all about "clean and shiny" if things are going to work well.

If the fuse is OK then yes, it could be the switch but I have often seen the wires that go to the tilt relay get broken right where they enter the module.

If the fuse is blown and you replace it and it blows again, then check those wires at the tilt relay module first.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Back