Logo

M5B throttle not holding mid-range

Have a 1995ish M5B. Have factory and after market manuals, etc. Have owned for 8 years now and have done a bit of work on it with help from this forum.

Generally runs good. Starts on 2nd pull religiously, even on first pull at times!

The issue I’ve had for years.. the throttle holds without issue at 800-2800 rpm, and from about 3000-4600 rpm no issue. In between..it throttles down to 2800 rpm. I can see the throttle knob turn down as the throttle lowers.. I’ve replaced both the grip friction piece (white part) AND the throttle shaft…I’ve got the friction knob turned down very tight and the damn thing will work it’s way down when underway…in the mid rpm range it does vibrate of course but can’t believe it’s enough to physically drive the throttle down…

Of I manually hold the grip it stays in the mid-rpm range…

Might there be anything with the CD unit causing it to throttle down? If so how can I test this with a meter…? Or is it just insufficient friction on 2 brand new parts….?

Last edited:
You need more throttle friction. It should get so difficult to operate that you can barely open the throttle. Perhaps you are loosening the screw instead of tightening it.

Back