Logo

Thread: water makers

Default water makers

Does anyone have advice on water makers? Do they work with little maintenance? energy issues? size? Do they make enough water? What powers them?
    best
    Marc with https://onboat.co/marina-del-rey/

Default Re: water makers

There are 12v, 24v, 48v, and Ac 120v and 220v watermakers. Mine is self made, but similar to what's found here: https://www.cruiserowaterandpower.co...-water-makers/
    The high pressure pump is either driven by an engine or a electric motor. I've done both, but prefer the electric motor.
    I live aboard and make all my water. My watermaker produces 40+gph. When making water, I make an extra 5 gallons used for flushing the system when done. I don't pickle the system unless it's going to sit for more then a week (as long as it's flushed with fresh water). In salt water w/o flushing, the system can only sit a couple days without pickling. I use prefilters so I can make water in rivers and bays. With care, membranes will last for 10 years.
    I usually make water every other day when running the mains or a generator. I spend less than 10 minutes, starting and stopping the watermaker. Once pickled, the watermaker can sit for years.