Logo

BF8D1 LHSA 8HP carburetor part#

BrookerV12

Does anyone know if the BJ05BD carburetor used for the BF8D2 onwards will fit on my BF8D1?

Boats.net has a replacement carby BJ05BD (16100-ZW8-816) listed for the BF8D1 available but has notes to say only for serial number up to 1000017.
Wondering why this can't be used for the remaining SNs from 1000018 (which is where mine fits in)

BF8D1 info elsewhere I have found has carby BJ04BA (16100-ZW8-801) for up to SN 1000017, and carby BJ04BB (16100-ZW8-802) from SN 1000018 which is what I have at the moment.

Maybe boats.net hasn't really represented this correctly? Thanks..

Hi,
I can't answer the question. Like you, I see no reason that a change in frame number would make a big difference. BUT..

the good FORCE knows that I have been wrong before and may be this time too.

I do know that Honda doesn't/didn't manufacture these carbs and that those model years they were in the process of making some changes since the 2003 models were coming out with the next to...no! wait!..
...ABSOLUTELY USELESS accelerator pump addition.

The odd thing I have noticed about the 8D models prior to the 2003 is that the parts pages always list the manual choke and the auto choke on the same page while the 2003 and later always make a distinction and list them separately. So when looking up an 8D3 carb you have to specify which one before going to the correct page. I'm sure it's because the manual choke "unit" mounts differently than the auto choke "module" does.

I have never worked on any of the 8D models older than 2003 so I don't know if the two choke systems mount to the carb body in the same way. From the parts depiction they look different but I just don't know.

I bring this up because maybe it has something to do with a poor attempt on their (Honda) part to differentiate the two? Problem is, if it was the reason it never made it into the parts book.

All pure speculation on my part and I'm afraid that, if you need an accurate answer you're going to have to find someone at Honda that knows. Otherwise you may want to contact boats.net about the possibility of buying one from them and being able to return it if it has physical differences that make it unmountable to your engine.

My OPINION is that if it will mount to your engine and the choke is the correct one then it will work no problem and I see that the mounting gaskets and insulators are all the same so mounting is the same. But an opinion is really all I can offer.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, might get a BJ05BD and see how it goes. Looking again I reckon it will fit. Will provide an update later. Happy Holidays and Cheers!

Just curious...why are you replacing the original carb? While the 8D carbs ARE hard to get thoroughly clean I have never had one that defeated my efforts. As long as you are stubborn enough and diligent enough you could probably salvage yours. Of course this all goes out the window if something silly was done like enlarging passages or fixed jet orifices with the wrong tools.

And... I'm speaking from only having experience with the 8D3 and newer but I believe the D1 and D2 are similar enough that I'm confident that I'm right.

If you want/need advice cleaning yours, I will be glad to try and help you. I have the Honda Marine Carburetion Manual for reference. If you do buy a new carb and it works well it's still good to have a spare if you can revive your old one.
Anyway,
Good luck.

Thanks jgmo,

I was having problems all the time with the motor failing to start, or starting badly. Over the past year or so have done all the maintenance and testing I could do on it. Checked compression, adjusted valves, tested SE bystarter, new sparkplugs, checked spark. Had taken the carb apart a few times, cleaning everything, replacing orings, gaskets, float bowl items, fuel filter etc but still the same poor starting. Came to the conclusion that it still was a fuel/carb problem and rather than paying further on additional parts, and having just about enough of dealing with it, just bought a new carb.

Got the new BJ05BD carb in February and installed it last week. Fits like an exact replacement, used new gaskets, and the motor now starts immediately. Took it on the water, no problems accelerating, WOT or idling. Such a relief to finally have a reliable working motor.

The new carb came with new SE bystarter already installed on it. The only difference I can see is the the new carb has a pilot screw that has a silver limiter cap on it rather than my original carb having a standard pilot screw that you can simply screw/unscrew in and out without restriction.

Well, I'm glad you found success!

It's always great to hear that someone is happy with their outboard.

Because, it's really about having FUN!

NOT pulling and cussing and working and tinkering day after day.

Goodonya fer gettin' 'er done!

Back