Logo

Run Carbs dry?

Bob in Tennessee

Contributing Member
I have read many recommendations from you guys to always run your carbs dry after each use. My question is....I use my 1977 Merc 500 once a week, almost every week. With this kind of usage would you guys still run dry after each use or do I use too frequently for this preventative measure?
thanks

No need to run dry, Bob. I'm sure you don't use ethanol, but if you do, a week or two should be about max to leave fuel in the carb.

Unfortunately I do use ethanol. There is no station between me and the Tennessee river that sells non-ethanol. However my engine has been getting harder to start lately and I am going to clean my carbs when the weather won't let me fish. From that point on I will take my portable fuel tank and find non-ethanol.
thanks
No need to run dry, Bob. I'm sure you don't use ethanol, but if you do, a week or two should be about max to leave fuel in the carb.

I tell everyone to run them dry after every use. Seen too much of the "White Gook" in the bottom of carbs that were not. Nasty stuff that will not burn.

Jeff

Well I did all my life until I bought an oil injected engine with multiple carbs. I quit because to run them dry you disconnect the fuel line and the engine keeps running and the oil pump continues to pump oil into the fuel line inlet in the engine....with no fuel coming in. So when you go to start the next time, you prime with highly oil rich fuel and it coats the plus and helps to cause fouling and hard starts if you get a start at all. Second, multiple carbs run out of gas at different times since for one reason the low speed jets are set at different values and each cylinder has it's own consumption rate.

So I quit it. For the last 15 years I boat about 3-4 times a year for a couple of hours at a time, engine run time. I haven't had a carb apart except as explained later, haven't had a fuel problem, run gasoline in the 115 and E 10 in the 90 both being 2002 model 2 stroke 90 and 115 hp engines using Pennzoil premium TC-W3 semi-syn oil and Sea Foam....I did have to go after carb problems on the 90 hp as I used E 10 and after 10 years the fuel lines started to degrade and little black bits of fuel line clogged the high speed jet on one carb. Also had the fuel line between the fuel tank and engine clog with tan chips of something that either came from the fuel line or the fuel in the line....fuel filter was full of them. Must have been the OEM fuel line as having stated above, I ran both types of fuel and both had the same tan chips filter clogging.

Last edited:
Back