Logo

2003 Tohastu MFS30A 3R0 engine oils?

Seachaser

Regular Contributor
I have a 2003 Tohastu MFS30A 3R0, first time winterizing. I was wondering what I should be using for engine oil and lower unit oil? I'm looking alternatives so I do not get hosed at the dealer. Also they are not close.

Thanks

For engine oil I use an oil that is specifically designed for outboards since outboards run colder than automotive engines. For lower unit oil again I look for lower unit oil designed for outboards, those oils have additives that will help protect the gears incase you have water intrusion. If the engine is under warranty then I’ll use their oils otherwise I’ll shop around for quality oils at a reasonable price and a availability.

Motor manufacturers don't make oils; oil companies do. Some motor makers do print labels and stick them to decent oils.
For 4-stroke outboards such as the MFS30A, it is preferred to run NMMA certified type FC-W as mentioned by William. I prefer 10w-30, unless you are always tropical... then 10w-40 is OK. No need for full synthetic. In fact, synthetics contribute to "making oil". Semi synthetic or dinosaur oil is fine. Just don't overfill by even a drop. Check on the dipstick -- don't just add what they state in the manual, as you will overfill, because of oil left in the pump, etc. Always do the filter as well. If storing outdoors, fogging is a good idea. Any hypoid SAE90 will work fine in the LU, but as mentioned, the high-end fluids will allow some water in the LU lube and still be OK.

Back