Logo

No water going into engine

Randy777

I have a boat with a 6.2 liter with Bravo 1 outdrive. Hooked up water to test before going to lake but no water was entering the boat once started. Assumed the impellor was bad even through it was only a few months old. When I took it apart the impellor didn't look that bad. Took thermostat and tested it and it opened. I hooked up the water with raw water pump out to test for flow and their was none. Is that normal? Shouldn't their be flow even if thermostat was cold? The engine wasn't started during the final test. Should I replace the impellor and try again. With a hose hooked up to outdrive with impellor out shouldn't water flow into boat?

Bravo drives are hard to flush on the garden hose. The muffs have to be the quick silver ones or the cheap round ones for the best seal. You are probably using the rectangular ones(worst choice). With good muffs and a second person, attach muffs and hold them tight to the drive, have someone start the engine (while you are careful of the prop, you can Trim the drive up a little and reach around the front) and immediately raise the RPM to get the pump to prime.

OR, just put everything back together and back the boat down the ramp and watch the issue you think you have disappear.

Last edited:
..."have someone start the engine (while you are careful of the prop)"

It would be a really good idea to remove the prop!

Jeff

Chris - the quicksilver muffs seem a a little more complicated but will give it a try next year, I thought the rectangular aftermarket ones fit pretty good for the Bravo 3 dr. I guess the best ones are what the OEM recommends: "Quicksilver 44357Q2 through the gear case" muffs.
[h=1][/h]

Chris - the quicksilver muffs seem a a little more complicated but will give it a try next year, I thought the rectangular aftermarket ones fit pretty good for the Bravo 3 dr. I guess the best ones are what the OEM recommends: "Quicksilver 44357Q2 through the gear case" muffs.

The best ones are the cheapo round ones made of rubber and steel that slide over the case. Don't forget to cover the low water pick up with duct tap if your drive has one.

The muffs you were using probably were the whole problem, if your had a water hose hooked up with the impeller removed from the housing yes water should come out of the impeller housing. I use the round Merc/Quicksilver ones with the clamp rod and they are the best. The rectangular ones are made of rubber that is too stiff to seal right.

Back