Logo

Measuring Dwell angle- Points ignition

Ky Howard

Contributing Member
I'm trying to measure dwell on a 2 cylinder, but the meter only reads 4-6-8 cyl. Would it be correct if used either of the three settings?

What motor ?---Serial # ?-----If it is a magneto under the flywheel I do not believe dwell is an important consideration.

racerone , Thanks for your reply...No specific motor since I have a few different ones.

I'm looking for a used dwell tach and since most come with dwell and rpm measures but adjustment knobs only for 4,6 and 8 cyl, I'm trying to figure if one setting or another will measure dwell on a 2 cyl motor.
Also since dwell is a more precise measure rather than gap, which is relative to ones "touch" with a feeler gauge, I thought setting dwell would produce a more accurate and repeatable measure

The tach part probably won't work, needs 12v to work, and the 4 stroke engine distributor turns at 1/2 crank speed, however, the dwell measurement is simply how many degrees the points stay closed. This can be measured by using an ohmmeter which is what the dwell meter probably is.

On older Johnson / Evinrude motors with the universal magneto the points can be set perfectly using an ohmmeter.-----You use the 2 vertical timing marks on the magneto pate and the 2 timing marks on the flywheel.

Back