Logo

Lightning victim or else?

s4rhoolie

To make story short, boat was hit by lightning and well grounded 2016 Honda BF15D3 on it does not start anymore. One fuse that i found is good. Visually it does not have any melting or signs of exessive heat anywhere and all wiring is in good shape, no smells of burnt wire isolation. It turns over with a starter it just does not look it has a spark. Compression is good on both cyl. Where should i start? Don't have service manual to test ECM, coils or any electrical but any info or point to a right direction is helpfull...Thx guys

Well....

You are correct. That fuse...the ONLY fuse on these...has nothing to do with ignition and spark. It feeds the trim/tilt and the charging rectifier. Neither of those has anything to do with spark either.

While it could have been damaged by the lightning it might also just be a coincidence that it's not starting now.

Have you verified that the emergency stop/kill switch is properly clipped open?

If the E-stop switch clip is in place and isn't killing spark then my advice would be to check for spark using a spark tester tool. You can buy one online or from Harbor Freight for around $10. If it turns out that it's positively for sure a no spark problem then you will need to do further testing to determine what components are bad.

I recommend the spark tester because it's just a far more reliable way of determining spark on these. Trying to check by using the "good old boy" method of holding the plug against ground gets mixed results at best.

If spark is present then it will probably be a fuel delivery issue. The carburetors on these Hondas do give problems frequently.

The ignition coil can be ohm tested. The exciter coil and pulsar coil used to provide power and switching for the ignition coil and CDI unit can also be checked with an ohmmeter.

If those items check out then the problem could be that the CDI has failed. There is a chart for testing the CDI in the shop manual that you would need for reference. The process has always seemed confusing to me but I'm not known for being the sharpest pencil in box. And, if it saves $160 to not buy a CDI just on a hunch it's probably worth an hour or so of frustration to try and check it out.

A new manual is pricey but well worth the money fo a DIYer. Here's a link:

https://publications.powerequipment.honda.com/marine

Buy the Honda publishing manual not any of the knock offs like Clymer, Haynes or Seloc....not worth it.

If money is tight and you just need the coil specs and CDI test chart I might be able help if I can figure out how to do it (dull pencil syndrome)

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Back