Logo

Help with winterization

matthewd

I was gifted a Alumacraft with a Mercury 75HP 4 stroke outboard this year. I'm trying to winterize it and I'm having trouble finding any sort of helpful diagrams or videos for my particular model online. Even Mercury's website tells me they don't have the manual for the particular serial number I found on the machine. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do the basic winterization tasks such as how to change the oil?

I can’t give you any specifics since I’m not familiar with your engine. Engine oil, towards the bottom of the engine and above the mid unit you should find a larger bolt(might be an hex) likely 1/2” to 3/4” diameter, that’s your drain plug. You should be able to see your oil filter with the cowl off, in all likelihood you will need to remove half of the lower cowl to gain access to the oil filter. I also remove the lower cowl(mid unit), they split in half just because the oil draining makes a mess. You could leave it on, your choice. Lower unit oil, two plugs to remove, drain and vent. To refill, refill from the drain hole till oil comes out the vent hole on top. Replace the vent plug first then the drain hole second. For me thats the bare minimum I do, I want clean fresh engine oil for the winter so the acids and any contaminants aren’t slowly eating away at the engine. Lower unit oil I’m checking for water intrusion. Out of habit I collect and measure the volume of the old oil to compare with the amount of oil fresh oil I’m replacing. If you’ve watched YouTube videos oil changes on outboards are more or less the same. Engine fogging, some do and some don’t. Some manufacturers recommend fogging some don’t. Good time to grease, I watch very carefully while I’m adding grease, I grease until I see the grease seal swelling, a little bit of grease might seep out the seal or it may not. To much grease will blow the seal and that’s not what you want. Greasing also applies to throttle linkages and other moving parts, consult with owners manual. I use a Qtip. Check anodes. When was the last time your impeller was changed? Good time to change it out if it’s due. When was the last time you had your prop off and regreased the prop shaft splines? Storing outside in the elements? If so leave the engine tilled down so rain/snow can’t accumulate in the prop exhaust and potentially freeze.

One more point, if you can’t find a manual for your particular engine try finding one close to your year and model. It won’t be exact but it will give you an idea where the grease zirks are and the throttle linkages are that require grease. There should also be a winterization section that we point you in the right direction. Should be able to find a pdf online for free or fairly cheap.

Go online and get a owners manual, all the information you requested is in it. Below is paste from it.
oilchange.JPG

Last edited:
Back