Logo

brand new 2022 mercury 9.9 outboard motor will not start

losfreddy

Brand new out of the box. I cant get this thing to start. It's in a trash can with water. It has briefly started a couple times only to sputter out and smoke a little. I'm using shell v power gas. The website I bought it from (outboard direct) says they think I put too much oil. I poured in a quart. They said it takes only 27 oz and 1 quart is 32 oz. So I drained a little and added more till it reached the top of the dipstick line. I keep bleeding the gas out of the carburetor. I sometimes get it to briefly start , but it always stutters out. Outboard direct said to remove the spark plugs and spray them with starter fluid to make sure theres no oil ln the spark plugs. They also said to cut the chock by half once the engine starts. My friend said he has to prime his. His is like a 2012 model or something. The place where would be, it's just a button and nothing is behind it. I pushed this button and it fell inside the motor. There doesnt seem to ne a prime button on the 2022 9.9. It shouldn't be this hard to start the dam motor. Its brand new, out of the box. I've tried every combination of everything for 2 days and several hours and I just figure out why it wont start. Anyone have any advise?

Pull start a few times then remove spark plugs and see if they
are wet. Then remove plugs one at a time insert back in
wire and check for spark close to block.
If it looks reasonable send it back. That motor should start
easy.

Back