Logo

Steel Propeller?

I never noticed this before, but the prop on my 1972 Triumph 65 appears to be made of steel.
It has surface rust and a magnet sticks to it.
Is this common?
Is it repairable?
I can't find any markings on it.

It measures 12.5 X 2120211130_204358.jpg

The early SST props where 400 series stainless and it is magnetic.------SST= " Stainless Steel Teflon " coated.----And yes they did show some rust on them as there is iron in it.

That's what I was thinking. Paint adhesion to the remaining Teflon will probably be an issue, but at least it will look nice on the trailer on the way the to the lake.

Or polish the prop.-----If boat lives on a trailer it will look good for a long time.-------Or use chemicals to get rid of the iron on the surface. -----Use clear coat.----Many options for you.

It is a 400 series stainless.----That is magnetic as well.----And yes there is iron on the surface that rusts with time.-------Propeller technology is different today.------These props were from the 1970's era of casting technology.----I have some of them.-----I have some 23" pitch 2 blade bronze props from that era as well.----Casting technology is different today.

Last edited:
What a difference!
It don't know how long it will stick, but well worth the effort. Doing it annually wouldn't be an issue.
The method I used was:
- hand sand with 60 grit, focusing on the rust spots
- hand sand with 220 grit, everywhere, I did not remove all the old paint
- clean
- masked the hub and diffuser ring
- many light coats or Rust-oleum Specialty Lacquer high luster coating (it was on the shelf)
- no primer
I'll let you guys know what happens.

Attachments

• 20220409_203748[1].jpg
    20220409_203748[1].jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 23
I would do that the way I polish bronze props.----Go from 220 to 400 to 600 to 1000 grit size.-----Then polish with acrylic paint polish. ----Then fine diamond paste with " ladies underwear " for the final shine / mirror finish.

Back