Logo

225 Fitch, its been a year with this problem, I need a miracle.

Shannonh1711

Model # E225FPLEEO
Ser # G 04712778

This is kind of like it’s the 4th quarter, one minute on the clock and this is a hail marry pass to the endzone. I have been trying to fix this problem for almost one year. Maybe this will get read by the one person who can figure this out for me. I have had 5 mechanics from different parts of Mexico come to this lake, so far, no one can figure it out.

It's 1998 Evinrude 225 Fitch. The engine only has 275 hours on it. The problem is, if the motor runs for more than 7 or 8 minutes, something (not the engine) overheats and if you turn it off, the engine will not restart for about an hour. Nothing gets power, everything is off, computer, fuel pump and injectors. After about an hour, it starts the first crank and runs just fine. Also, when it goes into the mode where it will not start, the lights on the gauges are flashing. I have shot the engine with an inferred heat gun and the engine block itself is not heating up, good pea stream of water, water is passing through the EMM. The interesting thing is, when I changed the stator and rectifier, it would run longer before the problem occurred and cooled off quicker, so that affected something. Here is a list of things done in the last year to try and fix the problem.

Changed impeller
Changed heat sensors
Cleaned injectors/new correct plugs
EMM rebuilt
Power panel rebuilt
Changed all relays and fuses
Changed stator
Changed rectifier
Had every connection and ground wire on the engine checked by a mechanic

If anyone has any suggestions or offers any help, I will pay for your time, whatever it takes. Anyone gets this problem fixed, I will give a fishing trip to Mexico. Thank you for reading all of this.
Shannon

You need to find the software and scan the motor. What is your compression? do you have spark on all cylinders? Now for the blunt truth it's a boat anchor. No factory support for parts or software you have about the worst motor to have in the ficht series. 1998 was the first year for fichts and you almost need to buy parts motors to keep them running.

a little farfetched but it appears you have checked all the obvious and far fetched is all that's left. Could it be something going on with the ignition switch or maybe the connector from the dash to the engine? A bad connection will heat up. An overheating engine or EMM should turn on the check engine light.

I have a 2000 Ficht and I think it's a great motor, for what it's worth. Can't beat power to weight ratio.

Back