Logo

can't get points gap right

Forget it !!-----The basic magneto was used from 1950 to 1990.----The last models ( 22 cubic inch ) of these in 20 / 25 HP just moved the coils away from under the flywheel.-----They used a driver coil under the flywheel.----And there was room for an A/C lighting coil or battery charging coil.-----Other than that the mechanical pieces of the lo-tension and high tension magneto were the same.----The 6 HP high tension and the 25 HP lo tension magneto both use the same part # magneto plate.

Forget it !!-----The basic magneto was used from 1950 to 1990.----The last models ( 22 cubic inch ) of these in 20 / 25 HP just moved the coils away from under the flywheel.-----They used a driver coil under the flywheel.----And there was room for an A/C lighting coil or battery charging coil.-----Other than that the mechanical pieces of the lo-tension and high tension magneto were the same.
So they are the same then? Quit your bitchin if anybody else had made that statement you'd jump on them in a heartbeat explaining the differences to them. Then throw in a crapload of !!!!!!!!!! for effect. I simply pointed out your error get over it!!!!!! Are the flywheels the same? HMMMMMMM

Last edited:
If anybody wants an update. . I got a different set of Sierra points and they gapped just fine.. . good strong spark from almost a half an inch away.

Great, yes....I have run across replacement points that barely make the .020 gap. I just "tweak 'em" a bit. Some quality is just not there anymore. But thanks for the report, Bill. Did you determine the actual compression yet? If you have a good gauge on your air compressor, take your rubber tip blow nozzle and blow tightly into the compression gauge. Then you can compare numbers. My 40 year old compression gauge reads about 7 pounds low at 100 psi. It has been stabile for the last 30 years....so I just add that many pounds at the 7 percent error. I have tested it at 60 pounds too and it is only 4 pounds off. Am I stupid?....should I buy a new gauge? Hell no....the new stuff they make is often worse.
Note for Racer and Mr. Scott. You guys are both awesome, I learn from you. Just wanted to say that I don't like to see any "ruffled feathers". We certainly need all the help we can get on the Forum.

Last edited:
no reports on the compression yet, but now that I have the ignition working I am going to put stuff back together and check it with a known good gauge

Great, yes....I have run across replacement points that barely make the .020 gap. I just "tweak 'em" a bit. Some quality is just not there anymore. But thanks for the report, Bill. Did you determine the actual compression yet? If you have a good gauge on your air compressor, take your rubber tip blow nozzle and blow tightly into the compression gauge. Then you can compare numbers. My 40 year old compression gauge reads about 7 pounds low at 100 psi. It has been stabile for the last 30 years....so I just add that many pounds at the 7 percent error. I have tested it at 60 pounds too and it is only 4 pounds off. Am I stupid?....should I buy a new gauge? Hell no....the new stuff they make is often worse.
Note for Racer and Mr. Scott. You guys are both awesome, I learn from you. Just wanted to say that I don't like to see any "ruffled feathers". We certainly need all the help we can get on the Forum.

Well said Timguy. They are both amazing contributors here with great knowledge and probably need to share a good drink together and all will be sweet again I would think. :cool:

So, a bit of good new.. . I think
I ordered a way better compression tester and tried it out. I got well over 120 on both cylinders. One of them even jumped up to close to 150. that seems a bit high to me, but I was using an electric starter to check. That seems like pretty big disparity between 2 different testers. one was not quite 80 and the other shot past 120 pretty quick. I also feel that I got a better seal on the second one. Even if I split the difference, I would be over 100 which I would be happy with.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a pretty good motor. Get your spark to jump a good solid 3/8 to 7/16", nice blue/white, "lightning like" spark. Then let us know how she runs.

So, a bit of good new.. . I think
I ordered a way better compression tester and tried it out. I got well over 120 on both cylinders. One of them even jumped up to close to 150. that seems a bit high to me, but I was using an electric starter to check. That seems like pretty big disparity between 2 different testers. one was not quite 80 and the other shot past 120 pretty quick. I also feel that I got a better seal on the second one. Even if I split the difference, I would be over 100 which I would be happy with.

Any thoughts?
Did you spray oil in the cylinders before the test? That motor did not have 150 from the factory.

Back