Logo

1983 mercury shift/throttle issues...

Nick_Chubb

1983 mercury 50 hp Thunderbolt.

Currently finished with rebuild and this is my last issue. My controls used to work fine but were damaged in transit by lovely illinois potholes... Anyways, I noticed that my motors levers/arms where the throttle cable connects (and shift i suppose), are extremely tight with no room. None of the stop screws come even close to bottoming out even if fully extended. Its always been like this in the past, however, the motor ran and shifted fine.

Motor upon starting as of today will not come down from throttle and immediately revs to probably 3000 rpms upon start and climbs from there randomly. It's stopped by turning the key but still scary. Before I send a piston accross my garage can someone lend a hand?

Screenshot_20211127-211955_Gallery.jpg
This is in neutral. Notice the bottom stop is not even on plane with the nub its supposed to hit.

Last edited:
The shift cable is the first one that moves shifting from neutral.----You are sure the cables are on correctly ?

Yes they are correct as the motor is able to shift gears normally. My issue is with throttle in regards to rpms. I never had this problem previously.

Maybe time for a new set of controls/cables. If you don't want to buy new try calling Tim's outboard in Hackensack Minnesota at 218-682-2331 talk with Teresa, Calley, Mike, or Dan. Have your cable length ready.

Maybe time for a new set of controls/cables. If you don't want to buy new try calling Tim's outboard in Hackensack Minnesota at 218-682-2331 talk with Teresa, Calley, Mike, or Dan. Have your cable length ready.

Thanks ill give that a shot. I believe my issue is the cables but its just wierd to me how I cannot even move the throttle lever on the engine block even close to any of the stops. I'll report back on whether the cables fix my issue when I get around to it. Thanks.

If you disconnect the cables, does the throttle operate freely at both the motor and at the control?

If you disconnect the cables, does the throttle operate freely at both the motor and at the control?

I am not sure, however it does operate freely from the control, but at the motor it does not... It ran perfectly until the control stopped sending power to my starter. I will try disconnecting the cables this weekend and test that.

Back